DotScott1

Seek Thermal Camera Through a Raspberry Pi using HDMI as output?

Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:53 pm

Hey all,

First, I should say that I'm not an advanced user, but I probably need some advice from some advanced users so I posted it in here. Correct me if I'm posting this in the wrong place.

I've done a few projects using Raspbery pi's before but never one this complex... or maybe it's easy but I just don't know how to go about it.

Now, here's what I'd like to do: I have a Seek Thermal (micro USB for Android) camera that I would like to get working on a Raspbery Pi (Zero if it's strong enough or Model 3 B+ otherwise) and would like to use the HDMI as the output so that I can plug it into a Vufine Display so that I could essentially have a thermal display that can attach to my face - so thermal goggles sort of.

I've seen that some people have gotten the seek thermal to work on a Raspbery pi but 1. They normally have it connected and displaying through a PC instead of the HDMI output and 2. They never seem to leave instructions on how they got it to work.

I've also seen the GetThermal app for Raspberry Pi but 1. I think it only works with Flir cameras (correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I've read) and 2. I'm not sure it can utilize the HDMI out on the Pi.

Anyway, I've been doing research on this for a couple of weeks now (periodically) with no real luck/instructions so... Decided to post here. Would REALLY appreciate any advice, tips, pointers, etc! It would be a tremendous help!

PS. I have already accomplished this via a smartphone along with an HDMI hub and a bunch of adapters and cables but 1. It's a big mess. Would have to carry a backpack around with me for all of it's parts, 2. the adapters (since there are so many of them) tend to come undone constantly, 3. The android app can ONLY display in portrait mode via HDMI... which makes the image microscopic on the Vufine display and 4. It would just be much nicer to have essentially 1 little box (Pi) that I can plug everything into (the Vufine via HDMI and the Seek thermal camera via a micro-USB extension cable).

aBUGSworstnightmare

Re: Seek Thermal Camera Through a Raspberry Pi using HDMI as output?

Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:29 am

one single search on Google brought me here https://github.com/maartenvds/libseek-thermal

Isn't this exactly what you're 'looking for for weeks'?

Return to “Advanced users”