hippy

Re: Diskless booting Zeroes from Windows

Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:03 am

ejolson wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:56 am
Do you know how to view the currently active leases served by the built-in DHCP server in Windows ICS? Searches on the internet seem to indicate that it is not possible. Do you know how to configure the built-in DHCP server on Windows ICS so it always serves the same IP number to the same MAC address? Again there is no information available how to do this.
I am afraid not. I don't really have much Windows 10 experience and would likely echo everyone's complaints about it and how things are hidden away or dumbed down so much as to be useless.

I couldn't get W10 bridging or ICS working with my diskless Pi setup but perhaps mostly because I don't know what I'm doing or should be doing. I was going to research those further so if I do spot anything pertinent to the problems you are having I'll make a note of that.

I fully expect 'leasing out as a server' is likely to be buried by 'not getting a lease as a client' problems and information.

ejolson

Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:58 pm

ejolson wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:56 am
While bridge mode could be used for home networks with a NAT firewall already in place
Surprisingly, I can't get a network bridge set up on Windows. When I go to add the USB gadget device I get an "unexpected error" popup. As I'm a bit clueless when it comes to Microsoft Windows, I don't know where the log files are that would give more information. Could anyone help me find the log files on Windows so I can diagnose why the bridge is not getting setup?

hippy

Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:31 pm

Not at a Windows 7 / 10 PC at the moment so can't simply check but there's some kind of "System Event Viewer" which is where you can supposedly see what's gone on.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-31 ... iewer.html
https://www.dummies.com/computers/opera ... indows-10/

There's also an event log for devices which can be access through Device Manager then Properties AFAICR, one of the tabs at the top. Note that is in earliest issue first so can be a bit confusing when it headlines an apparent issue which actually isn't and is resolved later.

To be honest; I doubt you are going to find anything more useful than "Didn't work", but fingers crossed.

ejolson

Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:32 am

hippy wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:31 pm
Not at a Windows 7 / 10 PC at the moment so can't simply check but there's some kind of "System Event Viewer" which is where you can supposedly see what's gone on.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-31 ... iewer.html
https://www.dummies.com/computers/opera ... indows-10/

There's also an event log for devices which can be access through Device Manager then Properties AFAICR, one of the tabs at the top. Note that is in earliest issue first so can be a bit confusing when it headlines an apparent issue which actually isn't and is resolved later.

To be honest; I doubt you are going to find anything more useful than "Didn't work", but fingers crossed.
I never got the bridge to work, however ICS works fine. Inspired by this thread I created this post describing how to set up a Pi Zero to boot without an SD card using rpiboot and then mount the root filesystem from a Windows share.

hippy

Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:04 pm

ejolson wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:32 am
Inspired by this thread I created this post describing how to set up a Pi Zero to boot without an SD card using rpiboot and then mount the root filesystem from a Windows share.
I did spot that thread and it looks like you have climbed a pretty big mountain. Well done. I haven't had time to follow along yet but I hope to.

Return to “Advanced users”