annlee

Any tutorial for a 100% completely reliable 3G/4G dongle with GPS?

Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:53 pm

Hi there, I know there is a list https://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripher ... 3G_Dongles

but can you please recommend a really good tutorial for a dongle with GPS capabilities and extracting RTC time?

I will be in the Netherlands, so Dutch providers. I only need to send to the cloud a tiny CSV file every x seconds.

Thank you very much :ugeek:

mfa298

Re: Any tutorial for a 100% completely reliable 3G/4G dongle with GPS?

Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:09 am

3G/4G and GPS re very different things (or was one of them a typo). If you do need both then you may do better looking for separate devices s that will give a better range of options.

100% completely reliable is unlikely to happen, things do break or services can be interrupted. With 3G/4G the service provider might be more likely to be the cause of issues than the actual dongle.

If the GPS is for accurate time then you probably want one designed for that purpose. There are a few people making breakout boards designed for that which also bring out the PPS signal to a GPIO pin (needed for accurate timing).

fruitoftheloom

Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:27 am

annlee wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:53 pm
Hi there, I know there is a list https://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripher ... 3G_Dongles

but can you please recommend a really good tutorial for a dongle with GPS capabilities and extracting RTC time?

I will be in the Netherlands, so Dutch providers. I only need to send to the cloud a tiny CSV file every x seconds.

Thank you very much :ugeek:

Maybe ??

https://www.pianywhere.com
Adieu

annlee

Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:30 pm

Thank you guys, there are some 4G dongles you can extract the GPS with a simple command

but let's say I dont need GPS anymore since the IoT devices will be stacked not moving

What I want to know if the rpi will be reliable to maintain a 3G connection to send a tiny CSV to the cloud (esri arcGIS) every few seconds

if case it isnt, I dont wanna purchase one of these expensive rpi hats with 3G capabilities... any solution?

Andyroo

Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:41 pm

No 3G connection is 100% (neither is the Pi come to that).

Have a look at LORAWAN - designed for small data packets over a wide area and implement a gateway.

Best way to ‘guarantee’ data integrity is to implement software control at each end and add retries / flow control. Have a search for Two Phase Commit or 2PC
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

annlee

Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:58 am

well this is for a prototype, in case we go finally for a project we will go for the expensive Libelium solutions

I will use a 3G dongle then, or maybe several rpi's connected via wifi to another rpi with a 3G hat

Andyroo

Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:51 am

annlee wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:58 am
well this is for a prototype, in case we go finally for a project we will go for the expensive Libelium solutions

I will use a 3G dongle then, or maybe several rpi's connected via wifi to another rpi with a 3G hat
If you go for the latter have a look at MQTT for passing the data. You may have to encode it if binary or use the file option) but a lot of the transfer code and reliability is ready built for you. It supports a quality of service mode (QoS 3) that delivers the data once and only once :) if you have not seen this have a look at https://thenewstack.io/mqtt-protocol-iot/

Good luck with the prototype.
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

Return to “Advanced users”