rahlquist

Need reliable headlessness. Current Raspbian a headache. Suggestions?

Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:56 am

So I have been running Pi for a camera to monitor for deliveries for years (drivers dont brave our Corgis). I recently upgraded the Pi I am using for this purpose to the latest version of Raspbian. It was a huge mistake for my use.

The current version of raspbian is very stubborn about dropping to emergency mode if there is any sort of abnormal reboot(i.e not command issued poweroff). So much so I have to pull the Pi out of my window several times a month, get out my serial console cable, boot the device, run an FS scan needed to get the boot to finish, put it back in the window and wait for it to happen again. In the past I have gone months without having to do this, now its almost every abnormal reboot.

I am thinking I need the device to boot from either a readonly file system, or network. I dont expect 100% reliability but having to go through this rigmarole so often is getting tiresome. Please any suggestion that might help.

Thanks!
Richard

epoch1970

Re: Need reliable headlessness. Current Raspbian a headache. Suggestions?

Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:21 pm

I suggest you try piCore (Tiny Core Linux)
It has neither r/w rootfs nor systemd, that should avoid a lot of boot panics.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

B.Goode

Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:24 pm

Please any suggestion that might help.
If your RPi is for standalone/isolated use so that security is not a concern, and you have a mature application so that you don't need to do any development, and performance is not an issue - why not revert to the version of the system that has apparently served you well for years?

TimWJ

Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:09 pm

Another vote for piCore.

i am nearing the completion of my 2nd major project using it. It can be setup to run entirely from an in memory file-system and the SD card or eMMC can be completely unmounted once the boot is complete.

This latest project includes, amongst other things, taking short video clips and stills and uploading them to a web-server.

These systems never see a clean shutdown, and each boot is effectively a new Linux install.

rahlquist

Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:30 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:24 pm
If your RPi is for standalone/isolated use so that security is not a concern, and you have a mature application so that you don't need to do any development, and performance is not an issue - why not revert to the version of the system that has apparently served you well for years?
I am seriously considering this. As again, last night, just a momentary power flicker, no longer than a blink and now its flipping hung again. My only other option outside of piCore seems to be any of the many Pi UPS devices but they are all large enough that it would require a new case too, when all I need is something to power this thing down and wait for power to return.

pyavitz

Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:34 pm

I suggest DietPi. It has great scripts and the install for most things is flawless. I'm currently using it as a base for my Home Security System, using four Pi Zero W's and two Rasp Pi 3's. It's my go too, unless I feel like sitting down and setting up things for my self.

In the headless department there is nothing better in my opinion.

Return to “Advanced users”