remistonge

NOIR Camera lens removal broking camera

Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:35 pm

Hi. I am currently using a Raspberry NOIR Camera v2.1 and i need, for my application, to replace the lens with a wider one on the camera. I am usingo the provided white plastic tool design to adjust the focus t carefully unscrew and remove the lense of the NOIR camera but during that process, 30% of the time, the camera does not survive the operation and just stop to work even while being super careful. The small connector that join together the sony sensor on the pcb is still correctly in place and no sign of damage is visible even under a microscope.

Since i need to do this operation a lot of time over hundreds of NOIR camera, i am looking for a more reliable way to remove that lens without broking the camera. I dont even understand why the camera stop to work. I was planning on maybe designing a custom screwdriver with the correct attachement to remove the lense but i am still unsure where the fail came from.

If somebody around have any idea why the camera broke so oftenly or having a more reliable way to remove that lense i would be super happy!

I will continue to investigate on this.

Thank's.

wh7qq

Re: NOIR Camera lens removal broking camera

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:28 pm

I did this once on the original pi camera , with much trepidation from all the reports of damage, to put a longer lens on mine...it all went easily. As it is happening in"only" 30% of your cases, I wonder if it may be related to static discharge. If you live in a dry climate, or remove much of the humidity with AC, it could be that you are zapping the electronics. My climate is always at least 60% RH and I am usually barefoot on a concrete floor, so little chance of developing a static charge but I worked at a company in Southern Californica, a dry climate and AC and synthetic carpets, where the IT bozo walked around in leather soled shoes with a handful of bare NIC boards and surprise, we had a heavy mortality of NIC boards. A proper grounded wrist strap and a grounded work mat might help. Just something to try.

klricks

Re: NOIR Camera lens removal broking camera

Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:32 pm

The camera module is very easily damaged by ESD.
Proper ESD precautions MUST be used when handling the camera. Wrist strap... Grounded ESD mat etc.
viewtopic.php?t=52159
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Stretch w/ Desktop OS.

Return to “Advanced users”