jofori

Please Help -Pinet Epoptes client SD cards just won't boot for Pi Zero W

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:33 am

Hi,

The Pinet client SD card boots up just fine on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ where I can login and do stuff :-) i.e shows up in the PiNet Servers dashboard. etc... but if you place the same PiNet client SD card into a Pi Zero W you get a rainbow screen from the very beginning.

1) I've only just started working with my first Raspberry Pi Zero W (purcahsed June 16, 2018) and I've managed to get the SD card to boot up and run as with the Stretch OS on a network with Raspberry Pi 3 B+ machines on a closed LAN.

2) Pinet Alpha - I've also managed to get the PiNet client SD card to boot up as a Pinet Client on a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ i.e It's visible on the Pinet Server Dashboard and you can control/login and do stuff :-) (same closed LAN)

I believe I've had this similar "Rainbow" problem before, however it was solved by using the alpha version of Pinet and that issue was all about Raspberry Pi 3 B+. I'm still using the same Pinet Alpha I installed then, as mentioned in the post below...

Please Help -Pinet Epoptes client SD cards just won't boot
EditReport this postQuote
Wed May 30, 2018 2:03 am
search.php?author_id=268108&sr=posts

a) Is it possible that Pinet Alpha does not yet work with Pi Zero W for Pinet? Is it supposed to at all?
b) Is there another version Of Pinet I am suppose to use for Pi Zero W?

What am I doing wrong? Really need this to work for an ICT project so I can work out if I can use Pi Zero W as an alternative to a Raspberry Pi Pi3B+ any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://pinet.org.uk/articles/key-info.html
(I am aware it's not officially supported, for Pi Zero W) but thought I would ask anyway.

many thanks
Jay

Gbaman

Re: Please Help -Pinet Epoptes client SD cards just won't boot for Pi Zero W

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:35 pm

jofori wrote: Hi,

The Pinet client SD card boots up just fine on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ where I can login and do stuff :-) i.e shows up in the PiNet Servers dashboard. etc... but if you place the same PiNet client SD card into a Pi Zero W you get a rainbow screen from the very beginning.

1) I've only just started working with my first Raspberry Pi Zero W (purcahsed June 16, 2018) and I've managed to get the SD card to boot up and run as with the Stretch OS on a network with Raspberry Pi 3 B+ machines on a closed LAN.

2) Pinet Alpha - I've also managed to get the PiNet client SD card to boot up as a Pinet Client on a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ i.e It's visible on the Pinet Server Dashboard and you can control/login and do stuff :-) (same closed LAN)

I believe I've had this similar "Rainbow" problem before, however it was solved by using the alpha version of Pinet and that issue was all about Raspberry Pi 3 B+. I'm still using the same Pinet Alpha I installed then, as mentioned in the post below...

Please Help -Pinet Epoptes client SD cards just won't boot
EditReport this postQuote
Wed May 30, 2018 2:03 am
search.php?author_id=268108&sr=posts

a) Is it possible that Pinet Alpha does not yet work with Pi Zero W for Pinet? Is it supposed to at all?
b) Is there another version Of Pinet I am suppose to use for Pi Zero W?

What am I doing wrong? Really need this to work for an ICT project so I can work out if I can use Pi Zero W as an alternative to a Raspberry Pi Pi3B+ any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://pinet.org.uk/articles/key-info.html
(I am aware it's not officially supported, for Pi Zero W) but thought I would ask anyway.

many thanks
Jay
As you have come across in the key info page, PiNet is not supported right now with the Pi Zero. The main reason for this is the fact the Pi Zero (and Zero W) do not have Ethernet ports, which is needed by PiNet to network boot. Although you could add USB Ethernet adapters, it then just about becomes the same price to buy a 3B+ anyway?
To be perfectly honest, I wasn't actually aware if it boots or not given I don't think I have ever tried to run PiNet on Pi Zeros given the above.

Perhaps there is a use case I am missing here though? Why use a Pi Zero W with a USB Ethernet adapter over a Pi3B+? If there is a real use case, I can take a proper look into it all.
Lead developer of PiNet, a free and opensource centralised user accounts and file storage system for Raspberry Pi classrooms used in over 200 schools across the world.
http://pinet.org.uk

Return to “Advanced users”