hannahw1850

Measuring an internal distance

Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:20 pm

Hello, I am currently working on measuring a change of diameter in a tube of 10mm diameter. Are there any very small sensors which can be placed in the tube to measure the small change? The change is usually around 2-4mm. It is closed off also so a vernier cannot be used to measure this. I'm after an accuracy of approximately 0.1mm.

Z80 Refugee

Re: Measuring an internal distance

Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:14 pm

To need to do this, you presumably desire to work out the pressure within the tube. Just use a pressure sensor and be done with it.
Military and Automotive Electronics Design Engineer (retired)

For the best service: make your thread title properly descriptive, and put all relevant details in the first post (including links - don't make us search)!

drgeoff

Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:59 pm

The pressure sensor is a good approach if the tube remains of constant cross-sectional shape. But not if it does not. For example, changing from circular to oval.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:16 pm

Z80 Refugee wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:14 pm
To need to do this, you presumably desire to work out the pressure within the tube. Just use a pressure sensor and be done with it.
Might want to measure the strength of the tube, and already know the pressure, wanting to know the strain.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

mark3112

Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:46 pm

Possibly a dumb question but I’m curious. Why do you need to measure the inside diameter?
As the pipe expands, the outside must expand as well. OK, the wall diameter will reduce very slightly but would make measuring easier.
If you can measure the outside, see laser diameter gauge (scan a laser across the target and the shadow period gives you the diameter).
You can make a real CPU in a FPGA, but you can’t make a real FPGA in a CPU.

Return to “Advanced users”