B.Goode

Can Etcher be used to create an image from a microSD card?

Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:35 am

In another recent thread about cloning from an existing microSD card a forum user wrote:

An alternative is to use an image reader/writer program like Etcher on a Windows PC.

I've seen that said before. But how, exactly do you use Etcher for that purpose?

When I run Etcher on a Windows PC I only see a 'workflow' that offers to select an image file and 'etch' it to removable media. How can it be used to create an image from other media in the first place, please?

[My default position is that Etcher is designed to write an image to a microSD card or similar media, and that the reverse operation is not supported. Am I wrong?]

I don't need to know about other ways to accomplish the same thing, just whether/how the Etcher utility from Resin.Io can do it.

nes_pi

Re: Can Etcher be used to create an image from a microSD card?

Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:38 am

I just use win32diskimager for this when i'm on windows. Much simpler IMO

B.Goode

Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:41 am

nes_pi wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:38 am
I just use win32diskimager for this when i'm on windows. Much simpler IMO

Hmmm...
I don't need to know about other ways to accomplish the same thing, just whether/how the Etcher utility from Resin.Io can do it.

pcmanbob

Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:55 am

[My default position is that Etcher is designed to write an image to a microSD card or similar media, and that the reverse operation is not supported. Am I wrong?]
As far as I can see the option to copy an image from the SD card to an image file was mentioned as a possible addition to etcher, but it has not been implemented as of yet.

https://forums.resin.io/t/etcher-v1-4-4-release/3016/19
Attachments
ech.jpg
ech.jpg (30.24 KiB) Viewed 711 times
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

DirkS

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:10 am

See https://github.com/resin-io/etcher/milestone/10 and https://github.com/resin-io/etcher/issues/950
It's not possible with etcher ATM, but it is seen as a possible new feature.

pws

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:33 am

B.Goode wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:35 am
NO!

It MAY be coming, but I suspect only if you PAY!!

Return to “Advanced users”