TLoATDaE

Looking for a Guru's Help Setting Up Lubuntu on RPi3+

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:46 pm

Since this is the Advanced Users thread, I figured that maybe there might be a 'Nix Guru hiding here somewhere.

That said, I would LOVE to get Step By Step instructions for setting up my new RPi3+ (the latest edition) with Lubuntu 18.04 LTS from a MicroSD image, or to a MicroSD card from a USB.

I really want the LTS, and figure that the newest RPi can handle it reasonably well.

Can anyone help me in this? Even the Ubuntu community boards seem a bit lean on folk interested in the Pi, so I am turning here for some Community Assistance!

Thanks in advance!

DougieLawson

Re: Looking for a Guru's Help Setting Up Lubuntu on RPi3+

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:55 pm

Your problem here is this board is mainly for Raspbian. There's not much interest in Lubuntu.

Does it have to be an Ubuntu derivative? How about Raspbian or Raspbian-lite?
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

feelslikeautumn

Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:18 pm

Ubuntu users tend to hang out on here at the random collection of posts at the bottom of the 'other' operating system sub-forum. Have you had a look at the instructions at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RaspberryPi ? A basic approach would be to install the server image and then install the lubuntu-desktop. You can remove the server/cloud image packages to speed up boot time if you don't need those. Armhf is a much easier install than arm64, but anything is possible!

MarkTF

Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:52 pm

Step by step instructions
1. Wait for release of 18.04 LTS for RPi3 to appear here: https://ubuntu-pi-flavour-maker.org/download/
2. Follow instructions listed at link.

I'm a long time user of lubuntu on Intel PCs and have used it on ARM in the context of Linux on Android. I've not used it on RPi as I don't really see the practical sense of using it over Raspbian on Raspberry Pi as they are both LXDE desktops on Debian.

feelslikeautumn

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:54 am

MarkTF wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:52 pm
Step by step instructions
1. Wait for release of 18.04 LTS for RPi3 to appear here: https://ubuntu-pi-flavour-maker.org/download/
2. Follow instructions listed at link.
Then you'll be waiting over 6 weeks.
I don't really see the practical sense of using it over Raspbian on Raspberry Pi as they are both LXDE desktops on Debian.
Choice of armhf or arm64. Working Firefox, same apps/libraries as you have on other architectures. A 'grown up' desktop. Raspbian uses a custom lxde desktop designed for children.

Return to “Advanced users”