theMusicMan

Installing latest version of kali-linux

Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:19 pm

Hi All

I 've gone and bought another Pi3, a 3B+ this time, and am going to experiment with kali-linux, however my experimentation hasn't got off to a good start!

I have downloaded (on my Mac) the latest file for the Pi from the oficial kali www site, and now have a 1.5GB file that ends with .img.xz

Never heard of an .xz file and I am a tad stumped as to what I need to do with this file, as Etcher won't recognise this format to write it to the MicroSD card I have. Am I supposed to extract this 'xz' file before being able to do anything further with the kali-linux installation process?

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

John

procount

Re: Installing latest version of kali-linux

Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:36 pm

XZ is a compression tool like ZIP or GZIP.
In Linux, you can extract the image file using `xz -d filename.img.xz`. Not sure which tool you would use on a MAC. (I think 7-zip works in Windows, so if there is a version of that for the MAC.....) Then you can burn the img file with Etcher.

But the Pi3B+ is very new and requires the latest firmware and drivers to use its new hardware features. Are you sure that Kali-linux has been updated to support the Pi3B+ specifically? The Kali 2018.1 version was produced on 6th February 2018, which was before the 3B+ was released, so that version will not work. OS support for the 3B+ is rather limited at the moment, but it will improve as maintainers update their OSes.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

theMusicMan

Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:54 pm

Thanks for the info!

I am running the xz file now... seems to be taking a while so I'll see how it goes.

I saw a RE4SON kali linux successful install on a Pi3B+ on youtube earlier today, though I must admit I am downloading the kali-linux official file not the RE4SON file - so I am actually not sure if it will run. I do have a Pi 3B which I can use instead though as my 3B+ isn't arriving until tomorrow. I thought I'd use the time this evening to get the OS ready to install.

Appreciate the heads up.

theMusicMan

Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:11 pm

procount wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:36 pm
XZ is a compression tool like ZIP or GZIP.
In Linux, you can extract the image file using `xz -d filename.img.xz`. Not sure which tool you would use on a MAC. (I think 7-zip works in Windows, so if there is a version of that for the MAC.....) Then you can burn the img file with Etcher.

But the Pi3B+ is very new and requires the latest firmware and drivers to use its new hardware features. Are you sure that Kali-linux has been updated to support the Pi3B+ specifically? The Kali 2018.1 version was produced on 6th February 2018, which was before the 3B+ was released, so that version will not work. OS support for the 3B+ is rather limited at the moment, but it will improve as maintainers update their OSes.
Yep, the xz command worked a treat, thanks!

Not sure why I wasn't able to download the REA4ON distro though. It went to the Google Drive page, and then despite clicking on the download link, it did nothing which is a shame becasue that kali distro looked to have all the correct packages on it for what i want to learn about. Ah well, never mind.

Thanks again for the help, Etcher is creating the boot disc as I type this.

Return to “Advanced users”