trlaing

Raspberry Pi 3B+ Eco Wifi Hotspot Access Point Low Radiaton

Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:30 am

Hello
For some time now I have been concerned with the dangers of Wifi radiation, particularly on children. I currently use an old Buffalo wireless access point with DD-WRT firmware tweaked to lower the radiation and set to switch off at night. It is plugged into our BT Hub which has its super strong Wifi switched off (and BT Wifi disabled so it is truly off). Unfortunately, the really strong BT and Sky Wifi signals from our neighbours still affect our home a little, but at least I have reduced the radiation quite a bit.
With the new Raspberry Pi 3B+'s improved ethernet and Wifi speed, it could be a great Wifi hotspot which I presume could be set to run in a safer way (see https://www.jrseco.com/pcat/low-radiati ... 007ae3e449). These Eco-wifi routers claim to reduce radiation by 90%. I am sure that the RPi3B+ could be tweaked to run in a similar way by someone who knows how to do it...

Does anyone have any input on this? Imagine being able to make a low radiation wifi hotspot for under £35 (if you have a spare MicroSD card and suitable power supply lying around). It could be set up as described in MagPi issue 67 (Pi Security), but with added Low Radiation / ECO features.

manawyrm

Re: Raspberry Pi 3B+ Eco Wifi Hotspot Access Point Low Radiaton

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:02 am

Don't get fooled by esotheric articles on the topic.

Wifi isn't something to be afraid of. The signal levels are way way to low to be harmful to anything.

Here's an article: https://www.howtogeek.com/234817/dont-w ... dangerous/

"Eco-wifi routers" are a scam to get more money out of you. The only real reason to lower the transmit power of a wifi is for very crowded areas (in cities and public buildings with many access points), where you want to minimize interference.

Your cellphone is routinly transmitting data with 20x (and more) transmit power, and it's usually much nearer to your body. If you're scared of electromagnetic fields (not radiation!), keep your phone away from you ;)

Here's another explaination: https://electronics.stackexchange.com/a/28081

trlaing

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:32 am

One opinion says it is dangerous, another says it isn't. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Of course there is going to be no published evidence of it being dangerous as all the BIG companies are selling it. I wasn't really hoping for a debate over the dangers of wifi or cellphone radiation, but was hoping for a reply about using the Raspberry Pi 3B+ as a safer wifi hotspot.

By the way, my mobile phone is usually off and very, very rarely has data switched on for the same reason. It is never in my pocket, even when switched off.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:46 am

All the big companies have to adhere to the local regulations for output power - these regulations changes for different parts of the world. It's not a free for all.

90% is apparently around 9db, not a huge change, but enough to mean that your wifi network won't work as well as it did before.

If you want to reduce power output, you could just set the router to a region which has a lower limit by regulation.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

mfa298

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:50 am

trlaing wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:32 am
One opinion says it is dangerous, another says it isn't. I'd rather be safe than sorry. ...

By the way, my mobile phone is usually off and very, very rarely has data switched on for the same reason. It is never in my pocket, even when switched off.
Hopefully you also don't use a microwave oven, cordless phones, power-line networking, bluetooth devices, or a range of other devices. Don't forget your various wireless clients are also emitting radiation and you'll likely get a larger dose of radiation from the tablet in your hands (even if it's reduced it's wifi output) compared to the wifi AP in a different room that's set to full power.

For the mobile phone, even with data switched off it's going to be regularly talking to the mobile base stations. The best way to reduce any power from that is putting the phone in a location where it gets the best signal (more bars means it needs less power to be heard by the base stations).

There are many good reasons to try and reduce your electromagnetic emissions. But I think spending lots of money and effort in trying to get a small reduction in wifi power on the ap/router is probably not worth it.

trlaing

Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:01 pm

Nope, don't have a microwave, use bluetooth, cordless phones or have wifi switched on on any devices when not required. We do try to be quite thorough. I'm sure that some radiation leaks in, but everything we have switched off helps reduce it. The tinfoil hat helps a bit too, but a Faraday cage would be better ;-)

Return to “Advanced users”