tenebrescence

using two Pis as one dual-core?

Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:15 am

Is it possible to use two Raspberry Pi computers together in such a way that the result is effectively one dual-core computer? If so, how would one go about implementing this?

My apologies if I don't use proper terminology, if I'm being unclear, if there's already a thread regarding this (I couldn't find it), or if I'm posing it in the wrong place. And please let me know if I'm doing any of those so I can correct it.

billb

Re: using two Pis as one dual-core?

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:00 am

No, not really...

You can create what they're calling a >>>Bramble<<< -- a cluster of Raspberry Pis -- but it's not the same as having a multi-core CPU.

Here's one made from 64 Pis:

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/mediacentr ... uter.shtml

tenebrescence

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:35 pm

Ah well.. Thank you for replying! And I'm checking out the Bramble now.

saintdev

Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:12 am

Commonly referred to as a Beowulf cluster.
SELECT `signature` FROM `users` WHERE `username`='saintdev';
Empty set (0.00 sec)

jaromanda

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:13 am

a "cluster" of 2 Rpi would be called a circumference, surely

tenebrescence

Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:56 pm

It turns out that a "cluster" (even of two; and I rather like the term "circumference" for 2 RPis!) is actually what I want to do. I want to learn how parallel computing works (clearly I have a long way to go) and be able to write code that I can actually test.

ech0

Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:17 pm

What exactly is a bramble/cluster of raspberry pis?
I understand it's parallel computing but how would you explain it in a simple manor?
If I were to connect my two pis, would I essentially have a 'faster' PI connected to 1 monitor?
Ex. double RAM/CPU?

rickseiden

Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:08 pm

jaromanda wrote:a "cluster" of 2 Rpi would be called a circumference, surely
That was really, really bad. So bad, that it was good! Well played.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

billb

Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:20 pm

ech0 wrote:If I were to connect my two pis, would I essentially have a 'faster' PI connected to 1 monitor?
No, it would not be for general use. But two or more Pis would have the potential to perform certain tasks faster than a single Pi IF the task lent itself well to parallel computing AND software was written for that task.

From what I've read, a cluster of Pis or "Bramble" (or Beowulf cluster, whatever you call it) might be OK as an educational tool for learning more about parallel computing, but there are better solutions in terms of price to performance.

ghans

Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:37 pm

i.e. no existing consumer software will ever work faster on two Pis compared to one.
Nor any Linux GUI apps.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

ZirconiumX

Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:10 pm

tenebrescence wrote:Is it possible to use two Raspberry Pi computers together in such a way that the result is effectively one dual-core computer? If so, how would one go about implementing this?

My apologies if I don't use proper terminology, if I'm being unclear, if there's already a thread regarding this (I couldn't find it), or if I'm posing it in the wrong place. And please let me know if I'm doing any of those so I can correct it.
Kind of: SSI allows you to fool Linux into thinking that there is one dual-core Pi.

I'd be willing to attempt a R-Pi distro using SSI, if you're interested and willing to help.

Matthew:out

munklefish

Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:27 pm

ZirconiumX wrote:
tenebrescence wrote:Is it possible to use two Raspberry Pi computers together in such a way that the result is effectively one dual-core computer? If so, how would one go about implementing this?

Kind of: SSI allows you to fool Linux into thinking that there is one dual-core Pi.

I'd be willing to attempt a R-Pi distro using SSI, if you're interested and willing to help.

Matthew:out
Thats sounds good to me!!!
http://www.codeclinic.de

dextrus

Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:51 am

You already have a dual-core device. Your GPU runs in parallel with your CPU (Arm). It does depend on what you want to do, but you can get your GPU to do more than just graphics.

/Dextrus
Have more FUN with your Pi. Visit www.pi-fun.com

Return to “Advanced users”