JoeIzzard

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Test Pads

Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:10 pm

Hi All,

As the Foundation doesn't want to release a full schematic (Which isn't the topic here), does anyone know of Official documentation from the Foundation covering the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B V1.2's test pads?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Test Pads

Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:20 pm

I don't think we've ever released documentation on the test pads, mainly because they're likely to change between models and are of very limited use. Unless you're building a Raspberry Pi test rig of course, but we already have a few of those in the factory.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

bensimmo

Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:30 pm

You'll find some documentation on the schematics, you'll find others on internet searches.

Good for direct modding for example PP1 &PP2 to solder your own +ve 5V too
(along with PP3 to 6 as the ground for that.)
You keep the fuse protection this way over using gpio's

The USB one are often used too.

Anything specific ?

JoeIzzard

Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:33 pm

That's kind of the problem Jamesh, the test pads change between versions but these aren't made public and you don't want to release the schematics for us to find which test pad does what. These are really useful for people trying to DIY the board, a common example being delivering power to the Pi at the same point as the Micro USB.

With the advent of these pogo pin based expansion boards, it really begs the question as to why these can't be included in the documentation, the reduced schematic includes some of them in the voltage input and regulation sections of the board but there are loads that still aren't documented anywhere.

bensimmo

Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:51 pm

But which ones are you needing, I think most common ones are documented or easy to work out.

It's obviously the uncommon ones you want to find ?

jamesh

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:36 am

JoeIzzard wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:33 pm
That's kind of the problem Jamesh, the test pads change between versions but these aren't made public and you don't want to release the schematics for us to find which test pad does what. These are really useful for people trying to DIY the board, a common example being delivering power to the Pi at the same point as the Micro USB.

With the advent of these pogo pin based expansion boards, it really begs the question as to why these can't be included in the documentation, the reduced schematic includes some of them in the voltage input and regulation sections of the board but there are loads that still aren't documented anywhere.
They are not documented because they are for manufacturing test, and not for use by end users. I cannot think of any real reasons why you might want to use them in anger, only as a matter of interest.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Return to “Advanced users”