kamilosxd678

REAL MySQL instead of MariaDB

Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:03 pm

Hi,

For some reason that is unknown to me someone thought it would be a good idea to put mariadb instead of mysql as default for stretch. Unfortunately Oracle itself does not provide .deb files for armhf in their official repo and building from sources doesn't cut it because the compilation process requires more than 1GB of RAM :-(

So onto my question - does any kind soul here have a solution for it? Or even self-prepared .deb with mysql-server 5.7?

Thanks a lot

Best regards
Kamil

rpdom

Re: REAL MySQL instead of MariaDB

Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:31 pm

What is wrong with using mariadb? It's a drop-in replacement for mysql.

kamilosxd678

Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:15 pm

I know that it has been changed and act as a replacement of MySQL, but as most of my Linux machines are using MySQL I have big compatibility issues with this MariaDB with both queries and tools. I have perfectly working solutions for one and true MySQL and I never wanted this cheap replacement shoved down my throat.

mfa298

Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:13 pm

kamilosxd678 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:15 pm
I have perfectly working solutions for one and true MySQL and I never wanted this cheap replacement shoved down my throat.
Maybe you should read a bit about MariaDB and it's history before being so dismissive of it. To save you a bit of effort:
MariaDB Server is one of the most popular database servers in the world. It’s made by the original developers of MySQL and guaranteed to stay open source. Notable users include Wikipedia, WordPress.com and Google.
It could be argued that MariaDB is the true MySQL (with what's called MySQL being the product of Oracles takeover dealings).

kamilosxd678

Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:07 pm

I have a lot of issues with MariaDB, I don't like it and I want to install MySQL. My question was - Does anyone successfully installed it on RPi? That was all, I don't want to be converted - I want a simple answer - I need a QEMU expert or cross-compilation expert - not MariaDB evangelists

DougieLawson

Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:10 pm

You'll need to build MySQL from source code, it's no longer built as part of DebIan.

While you're doing that you should compare the source code to MariaDB and you'll be 100% astonished that it's EXACTLY THE SAME CODE as MySQL with a few siginificant enhancements.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

kamilosxd678

Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:19 pm

Okay, can I at least get 10.2.x version on RPi, as it seems to not need as many changes as 10.1.x to get my SQL to work?

rpdom

Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:24 pm

I'm surprised that it would need any changes at all. I use the same code for both my old MySQL server and my new MariaDB ones.

kamilosxd678

Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:30 pm

The original MySQL in ver 5.7 has more than ex. 767 limit on key length, as I see it was "fixed" in MariaDB 10.2.6
Last edited by kamilosxd678 on Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DougieLawson

Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:32 pm

It's a drop in replacement, so unless your SQL is completely off the wall it's going to "just work".

AriaDB is a massive improvement on InnoDB.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

JorgeP

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:28 pm

Not sure which Pi you are using or what version of raspbian you have. I have a Pi 3 with the latest raspbian and MySQL is available, it;s about 150-200mb from what it looks like for me. Both client and server.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install mysql-server-5.5 mysql-client-5.5 mysql-workbench
don't know why nobody just told you instead of ranting about what they feel is better, although you could have found this out by doing a few searches.

rpdom

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:36 pm

JorgeP wrote:
Not sure which Pi you are using or what version of raspbian you have. I have a Pi 3 with the latest raspbian and MySQL is available, it;s about 150-200mb from what it looks like for me. Both client and server.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
don't know why nobody just told you instead of ranting about what they feel is better, although you could have found this out by doing a few searches.
Because that's wrong. As the OP pointed out, MySQL is not available in Raspbian Stretch.

Ok, show the output from this:

apt-cache policy mysql-server-5.5 mysql-client-5.5

DirkS

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:39 pm

JorgeP wrote:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Are you sure you're running the Raspbian Jessie?
AFAICT these packages are not in the Stretch repo.

[email protected]:~$ apt-cache policy mysql-server-5.5
mysql-server-5.5:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: (none)
  Version table:

JorgeP

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:47 pm

I have it fine, installed and running!

JorgeP

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:01 pm

AFAICT these packages are not in the Stretch repo
Yes, current Jessie. I purchased an nRF52 Dev board and tried installing the arm development software, somehow I ended up with "Synaptic Package Manager" I saw mysql and installed it. I forgot that step until I took the screenshot, I forgot that I didn't install MySQL from the command line.

But regardless it is running fine.

mfa298

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:04 pm

JorgeP wrote:
Yes, current Jessie.
That's not the latest Raspbian release!

[email protected]:~ $ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Raspbian
Description:    Raspbian GNU/Linux 9.1 (stretch)
Release:        9.1
Codename:       stretch
(and that's not been updated for a month or so).

JorgeP

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:11 pm

mfa298 wrote:
JorgeP wrote:
Yes, current Jessie.
That's not the latest Raspbian release!

[email protected]:~ $ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Raspbian
Description:    Raspbian GNU/Linux 9.1 (stretch)
Release:        9.1
Codename:       stretch
(and that's not been updated for a month or so).
'
Turns out your right about my versions, I've been installing and updating using the Synaptic Package Manager. Here are the Repositories it is using.

I am sure I am missing something, my version is Raspbian Jessie 8.0

mfa298

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:40 pm

JorgeP wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:11 pm
I am sure I am missing something, my version is Raspbian Jessie 8.0
Jessie (the previous release of Debian/Raspbian) has the original MySQL as bought out by Oracle, Stretch (the latest release of Debian/Raspbian) has switched to the fully opensource variant (as have most Linux Distributions) which is maintained by the original author of MySQL and is forked from just before Oracle got their hands on it.

As to which is better who knows (both add their own enhancements and some will be ported over to the other variant). However most Linux Distributions have switched to MariaDB as they generally prefer things which are fully opensource and are likely to stay that way.

swbuehler

Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:22 pm

The version of MariaDB in the current Raspbian is missing multiple components that have been in MySQL for a while—namely, JSON support (which Maria introduced in 10.2, but 10.2 is not part of Raspbian yet).

pcmm

Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:14 am

I'm struggling with this also. I keep reading that Mariadb " is a drop in relpacement" not sure how people are saying this! the default mariadb install in stretch is just junk! To date (been working on this for a few weeks off and on) I have yet to find a gui client that works with it, and all my php pages that were working perfectly in Jessie, don;t work at all in stretch, they can't connect to the database at all. Mariadb is so secure, nothing connects to it!

DirkS

Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:28 am

pcmm wrote:
I'm struggling with this also. I keep reading that Mariadb " is a drop in relpacement" not sure how people are saying this! the default mariadb install in stretch is just junk! To date (been working on this for a few weeks off and on) I have yet to find a gui client that works with it, and all my php pages that were working perfectly in Jessie, don;t work at all in stretch, they can't connect to the database at all. Mariadb is so secure, nothing connects to it!
I'm using HeidiSQL (on Windows) without problems. And other programs manipulating data don't have any problems either...

Are you sure it's a MariaDB problem and not a PHP5 vs PHP7 issue?

pfletch101

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:09 am

pcmm wrote:
I don't have any experience with MySQL or MariaDB on the Pi, but I have been a long-time user of MySQL for websites hosted on my main (Windows) system and on my ISP's (Unix) server. About nine months ago the ISP decided that they were going to switch to MariaDB, so I switched locally, and I have seen no problems or incompatibilities. phpMyAdmin continues to work as it did before (without reinstallation), as does my custom PHP code, some of which is quite complex. Unless others are having problems with MariaDB on the PI (entirely possible), I would be looking for something specific to your circumstances.
Last edited by pfletch101 on Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pcmm

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:35 am

DirkS wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:28 am
pcmm wrote:
I'm using HeidiSQL (on Windows) without problems. And other programs manipulating data don't have any problems either...

Are you sure it's a MariaDB problem and not a PHP5 vs PHP7 issue?
Its probably both! but I can't get any gui cllient I've tried to connect the only client that can connect is the built in mysql cli client

DirkS

Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:11 am

pcmm wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:35 am
Its probably both! but I can't get any gui cllient I've tried to connect the only client that can connect is the built in mysql cli client
Are these local connections (from the same Pi) or remote (from another computer)
By default MySQL / MariaDB will only allow local connections.

Return to “Advanced users”