JCDwight

Cool-retro-term

Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:53 am

I have very fond memories from when I was a child in the late '80s and '90s. My dad had a commodore 16 that he gave me along with an old green CRT monitor. I spent hours and weeks and months in front of that thing teaching myself to program in basic. I've always had it in the back of my mind that I want a dedicated text display that functioned similarly.

When the first raspberry pi came out I attempted to get something going. I bought a old green CRT with a VGA input on ebay and tried everything I could to get it to connect to that display. I bought an active HDMI to VGA converter and nothing worked. I banged my head against the wall trying different things to get it to work, and I got something to display, but it was crazy unfocused. i chalked this up to the display being old and bad and gave up.

About a week ago this video: Fanciest Looking Terminal Emulators on the Planet popped up in my Youtube feed and I saw a demo of Cool-retro-term and realized that its what Ive been looking for. I have a desire to learn how to use a terminal extensively in linux and this would be perfect for that. Yea, I could just load up any distro and learn with the default terminal, but that's not the dream.

Anyways, I've spent a few hours every day trying to get this working in any way I could. This is what I've tried:

1) I tried installing debian dependencies in raspbian, then building it from source via the instructions on the Cool-retro-term github. Dependencies installed fine from what I can tell but when I did the qmake && make command it ran into what looked like exceptions and failed.

2) I tried installing Ubuntu Mate on the pi, but I wound up not being able to update any software because the boot partition was only like 60Mb. I bashed my head against the wall for a while trying to fix that error and eventually gave up.

3) I installed arch linux via PINN and followed the instructions for Arch, but I apparently installed a super barebones arch and after hours of figuring out how to install the missing pieces to try and follow the instructions on the site, I had to give up on that one too. I got as far as actually trying to install all the QT dependencies but it failed to find the host for the download.

4) I also have a lattepanda windows 10 SBC, so I tried getting ubuntu on that, but for some reason it wont boot to the usb boot drive. I tried different usb drives and even different distros of linux, but the only thing I could get to load was gparted, which crashed after selecting any of the options on the menu.

5) I used PINN to install fedberry distro then tried following the fedora instructions, but they are I guess for x86 64 and it wouldnt let me install those rpm files.

I'm coming at this with almost no linux knowledge, and its kind of insane to me that installing a simple program is so hard. I kind of wish there was some easy way to install it, like an exe on windows based PCs, but apparently each distro requires a different version of the program.

The hardware I have for this project is a Raspberry pi 3, raspberry pi zero W, or a lattepanda with windows 10. I'd even be willing to get a different SBC that's more suited to this task if there is one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If not a walkthrough maybe point me in the direction to where I can learn about even a broad topic of what im trying to do.

Thanks!

fruitoftheloom

Re: Cool-retro-term

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:13 am

JCDwight wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:53 am
I have very fond memories from when I was a child in the late '80s and '90s. My dad had a commodore 16 that he gave me along with an old green CRT monitor. I spent hours and weeks and months in front of that thing teaching myself to program in basic. I've always had it in the back of my mind that I want a dedicated text display that functioned similarly.

When the first raspberry pi came out I attempted to get something going. I bought a old green CRT with a VGA input on ebay and tried everything I could to get it to connect to that display. I bought an active HDMI to VGA converter and nothing worked. I banged my head against the wall trying different things to get it to work, and I got something to display, but it was crazy unfocused. i chalked this up to the display being old and bad and gave up.

About a week ago this video: Fanciest Looking Terminal Emulators on the Planet popped up in my Youtube feed and I saw a demo of Cool-retro-term and realized that its what Ive been looking for. I have a desire to learn how to use a terminal extensively in linux and this would be perfect for that. Yea, I could just load up any distro and learn with the default terminal, but that's not the dream.

Anyways, I've spent a few hours every day trying to get this working in any way I could. This is what I've tried:

1) I tried installing debian dependencies in raspbian, then building it from source via the instructions on the Cool-retro-term github. Dependencies installed fine from what I can tell but when I did the qmake && make command it ran into what looked like exceptions and failed.

2) I tried installing Ubuntu Mate on the pi, but I wound up not being able to update any software because the boot partition was only like 60Mb. I bashed my head against the wall for a while trying to fix that error and eventually gave up.

3) I installed arch linux via PINN and followed the instructions for Arch, but I apparently installed a super barebones arch and after hours of figuring out how to install the missing pieces to try and follow the instructions on the site, I had to give up on that one too. I got as far as actually trying to install all the QT dependencies but it failed to find the host for the download.

4) I also have a lattepanda windows 10 SBC, so I tried getting ubuntu on that, but for some reason it wont boot to the usb boot drive. I tried different usb drives and even different distros of linux, but the only thing I could get to load was gparted, which crashed after selecting any of the options on the menu.

5) I used PINN to install fedberry distro then tried following the fedora instructions, but they are I guess for x86 64 and it wouldnt let me install those rpm files.

I'm coming at this with almost no linux knowledge, and its kind of insane to me that installing a simple program is so hard. I kind of wish there was some easy way to install it, like an exe on windows based PCs, but apparently each distro requires a different version of the program.

The hardware I have for this project is a Raspberry pi 3, raspberry pi zero W, or a lattepanda with windows 10. I'd even be willing to get a different SBC that's more suited to this task if there is one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If not a walkthrough maybe point me in the direction to where I can learn about even a broad topic of what im trying to do.

Thanks!

All Raspberry Pi and Compute Module models use an ARM CPU and therefore the Operating Systems are ARMHF.

You appear to be trying to installed packages for x86 CPU Architecture which are incompatible !

LattePanda is irrelevant and issues should be discussed on their support forums, but it does have x86 CPU Architecture, also this is a Raspberry Pi Foundation hosted Forum so you will not get any help with competitor recommendations.
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

RaTTuS

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:42 am

this will be the way to go but you'll have to post the errors to see if there is any way it can be made to work

or just play with the setterm options to make your terminal green on black etc....
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

bertlea

Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:53 am

Yes, this should work. I tried that last night using my new 3B+. The first time "qmake && make" did ends up with an error saying "out of memory". Then I increased the swap file size to 1G and try again. It worked.

rricharz

Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:41 pm

Cool-retro-term works now well on Raspbian. See my installation instructions at https://github.com/rricharz/pidp11-2.11 ... r/Cool.pdf

munocat

Fri May 10, 2019 8:18 am

rricharz wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:41 pm
Cool-retro-term works now well on Raspbian. See my installation instructions at https://github.com/rricharz/pidp11-2.11 ... r/Cool.pdf
Thank you so much. The changing of the gl driver enabled cool retro term to run on my pi zero smoothly.

Return to “Advanced users”