scaramonga

Re: Running Raspbian from USB Devices : Made Easy

Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:53 pm

RonR wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:59 am

If OMV happens to be OpenMediaVault, I was able to successfully install and run it on a system created by usb-boot using the instructions found in: Installing OMV5 On a Raspberry PI

(I didn't actually try to configure and use it).

I hope that helps.
Yeah, thx for help Ron, but unfortunately (for the life of me), OMV settings will just not accept. I understand that this is not your fault, and most likely an OMV problem? Just thought I'd throw it out here, in the hope that someone else may have run into this problem. No worries my friend, and thank you for this great work you do in this :)

I can solve whole problem by just adding another drive lol.

RonR

Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:02 pm

scaramonga wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:53 pm
Yeah, thx for help Ron, but unfortunately (for the life of me), OMV settings will just not accept. I understand that this is not your fault, and most likely an OMV problem?

Does OMV work properly on an SD card installation where usb-boot wasn't involved? If not, it's definitely not usb-boot related.

scaramonga

Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:02 am

RonR wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:02 pm
Does OMV work properly on an SD card installation where usb-boot wasn't involved? If not, it's definitely not usb-boot related.
It does indeed, rather well, but I wanted to just use an SSD drive (a 1Tb EVO I had laying around), and thought, hey, I can try and move OS onto this also, and use rest for data sharing, obviously with SD used for initialisation.

USB-BOOT works just fine, aka, it all runs swell, apart from when I install OMV, it will not see rest of disk, and reports only the 2 partitions mirrored from the script. This is fine, and OMV saves any setting no problem. Problem is, I have no use of the other 980Gb for sharing, as OMV does not see it?

Loading the 1Tb up in any disk manager (separately) shows the drive to be correct, and that all space has been extended to fill whole drive.

Resizing that drive to use any figure, say 64Gb, results in the rest being wasted, as OMV still does not see anything, no matter if I create a separate partition of any size, and when I do, OMV does not save any settings, and throws up errors?

I'm beginning to suspect, that OMV does not like residing on something that it is not actually booted from. Most likely? I think, but no matter, as I say, I can easily resolve it with buying another disk, as I do like this thing running from an SSD, way faster than that damn SD :)

*Edit*

Just done a test again, leaving disk as is and letting USB-BOOT do it's thing. All good, but OMV does not work with this configuration, no matter what you do with extra space on a single SSD.

I guess OMV does not like to run from any SSD, or drive, from a Pi4 regardless, probably confusing it in some way? SD, it works marvellous, and uses my SSD as storage no problems. So, no point in buying another disk, lol, as it just will not run properly when booted from any drive, apart from the SD.

Sorry for bugging all of ya, but at least I know now, lol.

RonR

Sat May 16, 2020 5:52 am

Beta testing of direct USB booting on the Raspberry Pi 4 is reported to be starting next week. Enabling direct USB booting on the Raspberry Pi 4 during the beta period will require a new bootloader and replacing a few Raspbian files, the details of which have not yet been published.

usb-boot (in the first post of this topic) has been updated to allow the use of direct USB booting on the Raspberry Pi 4 when it becomes available.

If usb-boot is running on a Raspberry Pi 4, usb-boot first prompts: 'Use SD card to boot the USB device?'
If 'No' is selected, the SD card will not be altered and the direct USB boot capability of the Raspberry Pi 4 will be used.

RTouris

Tue May 19, 2020 5:27 pm

Thanks for keeping us updated, is there any particular thread with more info on this or is it a closed beta?

RonR

Tue May 19, 2020 5:37 pm

RTouris wrote:
Thanks for keeping us updated, is there any particular thread with more info on this or is it a closed beta?

The new beta bootloader (/lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/beta/pieeprom-2020-05-15.bin) has been provided via the normal upgrade process (apt update && apt upgrade), but, as far as I know, the required replacement Raspbian files have not been made available yet.

timg236
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue May 19, 2020 5:45 pm

RonR wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:37 pm
RTouris wrote:

The new beta bootloader (/lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/beta/pieeprom-2020-05-15.bin) has been provided via the normal upgrade process (apt update && apt upgrade), but, as far as I know, the required replacement Raspbian files have not been made available yet.
The firmware is in the queue for rpi-update master branch, I'll give it a smoke test tomorrow morning and assuming it's ok I'll post something on General.

RTouris

Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:25 pm

Sorry for the noob question..Given USB-MSD boot EEPROM update 200528 has been made available and the fact that I'm already booting the system off an external SSD with the SD card in using a pre-200516 update of usb-boot, do I risk anything by performing a simple update of the system via "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" and rebooting since I'm currently sitting at 45 days uptime and need to troubleshoot something? The issue I'm facing relates to low write speeds via a USB3 powered hub to certain types of media - specifically microSD cards..

RonR

Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:06 pm

RTouris wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:25 pm
do I risk anything by performing a simple update of the system via "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" and rebooting since I'm currently sitting at 45 days uptime and need to troubleshoot something?

None of the recent USB-MSD boot updates should have any detrimental effect on existing Hybrid SD/USB boot systems. Doing a normal apt update/apt upgrade should work as it always has (having a current backup using some like image-backup is good insurance however).

Should you wish to migrate to USB-MSD boot at some point, see:

Migrating Hybrid SD/USB Booting to Direct USB Booting on the Raspberry Pi 4 : Made Easy

RTouris

Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:20 pm

Kudos for the fast response! Wrt image-backup on the hybrid system generated using usb-boot am I correct in assuming that I would I need BOTH the SD card AND the SSD images to be taken via image-backup?

RonR

Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:27 pm

RTouris wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:20 pm
Kudos for the fast response! Wrt image-backup on the hybrid system generated using usb-boot am I correct in assuming that I would I need BOTH the SD card AND the SSD images to be taken via image-backup?

I periodically boot into the SD card (using sdc-boot) and keep it updated and backed up as well as the USB device. Having images of both ensures I can restore everything regardless of how catastrophic a failure might be.

RTouris

Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:01 am

Back again with yet another hybrid SD/SSD-related Q generated going down the usb-boot route..

In an effort to backup my system I gave image-backup a try and surely enough I was able to successfully create and save an image of both boot and root partitions on a samba share that I keep connected to the USB interface of the rPi4 in question.

Resulting image gives:

Code: Select all

sudo ./image-info /media/pi/NAS_35_4TB/Backups/systembackup.img

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4958617600 Jun  9 13:21 /media/pi/NAS_35_4TB/Backups/systembackup.img

Filesystem     Type      1K-blocks      Used  Available Use% 
boot           vfat         261868     55332     206536  22% 
root           ext4        4443072   4314056          0 100% 

disk: PTUUID="26999a39" PTTYPE="dos"
boot: SEC_TYPE="msdos" UUID="B40B-8802" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="26999a39-01"
root: UUID="d59b2fac-0268-46e2-8398-6766ef6c9fd1" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="26999a39-02"
However seeing that the generated image is 'only' ~5GB in size I assume this is a backup of the SD card that resides into the SD card reader of the rPi courtesy of the usb-boot scripts. This being a hybrid SD/SSD installation however how would I go about also making a copy of the SSD volumes for backup purposes?

...and while at it could you provide a sample procedure to automate this via a daily cron job for both backups?

Thanks

RonR

Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:44 pm

RTouris wrote:
However seeing that the generated image is 'only' ~5GB in size I assume this is a backup of the SD card that resides into the SD card reader of the rPi courtesy of the usb-boot scripts. This being a hybrid SD/SSD installation however how would I go about also making a copy of the SSD volumes for backup purposes?

The image file created by image-backup is a copy of the system that image-backup is running from. It contains only the files from the device you are backing up (and any additional free space you requested for future incremental backup expansion).

If you're running from a USB device when image-backup is executed, the BOOT partition of the SD card is normally mounted on /boot and will therefore be the BOOT partition contained in the image file. The ROOT partition in the image file will be the ROOT of the USB device.

If you're running from the SD card when image-backup is executed, the image file will contain the BOOT and ROOT partitions of the SD card.

The sdc-boot script will allow you to easily switch between booting the USB device and SD card.
RTouris wrote:
...and while at it could you provide a sample procedure to automate this via a daily cron job for both backups?

Once the initial/full backup has been created, the following crontab entry will perform an incremental backup at 4 am every day:

Code: Select all

0 4 * * * /pathto/image-backup /pathto/imagefile.img

WhyNine

Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:31 pm

I decided to move to booting from USB on my RPi3B (or at least having the root FS on USB). Initially I followed the instructions at viewtopic.php?t=44177 but with limited success. Then RonR pointed me at this thread which has been more useful (thanks, RonR).

I have tried 5 different USB flash devices with the following results:
  • One 128GB device (Kingston DT50) was recognised on first boot, the file system re-sized and eventually the desktop was displayed (this took ~10 minutes!). After that, the boot just stops with the four raspberries on screen and nothing else (the devices gets very hot aw well. :(
  • One 4GB device boots fine but is very slow (apt upgrade took >3 hours) (and is too small for my application anyway). It works ok apart from that. :)
  • One 16GB device (SanDisk Cruzer Blade) works fine and boots quickly (dd'ing an 80MB file gives ~20MB/s). :D
  • Another 16GB device (Toshiba TransMemory USB3) is recognised and the Pi boots but is very slow (dd'ing an 80MB file gives ~3MB/s). :(
How can I tell in advance (before I buy them) which devices will work 100% in the Pi (ie boot ok and with good performance)?
Why is the performance so variable?
Is there anything I can do to improve it?

What 16GB+ USB flash devices have others found to work well?

RonR

Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:55 pm

WhyNine wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:31 pm
What 16GB+ USB flash devices have others found to work well?

I've always used USB 3 flash drives as they're inherently faster even on USB 2 ports.

I've had excellent luck with the following on all Raspberry Pi models:

Samsung BAR Plus 32GB - 200MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive Titan Gray (MUF-32BE4/AM)

hydra3333

Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:06 pm

Thank you, for this thread and the lovely script in the first post.

I have just used it on a Pi4 to move over to hybrid SD/USB booting (usb sticks are cheap and easy to procure) until the Pi4 direct booting EEPROM stuff moves from stable to critical.

I suspect timg236 well knows what he's saying, Murphy keenly looks forward to visiting when IT changes are made :)
timg236 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:43 am
I've promoted this to stable in the Github repository, an APT update will follow shortly.

Based on forum comments and internal test interoperability tests there are no known regressions in SD/network boot modes and USB MSD boot works for the majority of USB devices. Therefore, it's better to make this enabled by default than extend the beta and require people who are happy with this feature to manually update firmware etc.

Stable will only be updated for bugs which block it being promoted to production.

Beta reverts back to being more experimental, but nothing major planned right now.

Of course, promoting something to stable means a major bug will be discovered :)
Just wondering, does the script need to be altered at all to cater for the updated Pi4 EEPROM stuff going into stable ?
Or when future releases are made ... or is the script independent of that ?
viewtopic.php?p=1680650#p1680650

Thanks !

RonR

Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:14 pm

hydra3333 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:06 pm
Just wondering, does the script need to be altered at all to cater for the updated Pi4 EEPROM stuff going into stable ?

The script is already Raspberry Pi 4 aware and gives the option of booting using the new bootloader for direct USB booting or continuing to use an SD card to initiate the USB boot process.

hydra3333

Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:17 pm

Also, a Dummy's question, I poked around but didn't readily spot the answer,

If I update the Pi4's EEPROM per the normal procedure, is direct booting from a USB3 stick then as simple as (ignoring quirks)
- somehow Etching the latest O/S release to a USB stick
- Plugging the USB3 stick into the Pi4's USB3 slot
- Powering on the Pi4 ?
(without this script)

Thanks

RonR

Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:50 pm

hydra3333 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:17 pm
If I update the Pi4's EEPROM per the normal procedure, is direct booting from a USB3 stick then as simple as (ignoring quirks)
- somehow Etching the latest O/S release to a USB stick
- Plugging the USB3 stick into the Pi4's USB3 slot
- Powering on the Pi4 ?
(without this script)

I think you're looking for: Migrating Hybrid SD/USB Booting to Direct USB Booting on the Raspberry Pi 4 : Made Easy

hydra3333

Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:13 am

Thank you for that link.

This link https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... _config.md suggests a "native" Raspberry Pi process is still some time away (it suggests in the interim needing to copy some special files until something "native" is released, in order to have a bootable USB stick).

Of course it seems as if the script in post #1 of this thread may create and configure a valid Pi4 USB stick from a valid running SD card if you ask it to.
I guess once one updates the Pi4's eeprom to the latest "stable", one could then use the USB stick created in that way.

RonR

Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:51 pm

hydra3333 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:13 am
This link https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... _config.md suggests a "native" Raspberry Pi process is still some time away (it suggests in the interim needing to copy some special files until something "native" is released, in order to have a bootable USB stick).

Of course it seems as if the script in post #1 of this thread may create and configure a valid Pi4 USB stick from a valid running SD card if you ask it to.
I guess once one updates the Pi4's eeprom to the latest "stable", one could then use the USB stick created in that way.

If RaspiOS is up-to-date (apt update / apt upgrade), there is no need to copy any additional/special files from anywhere.

The latest Raspberry Pi 4 beta bootloader was promoted to stable about a week ago.

usb-boot supports both native and hybrid USB booting. There are arguments for the long-term use of each method.

tinker2much

Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:22 pm

Hi, RonR, and thanks again for your image-backup and usb-boot scripts which make life so much easier.

I recently recovered a couple of older SSDs from laptops that I'm getting rid of. I have a couple of external cases that will turn them into USB drives. Now I get to use them with my Pi collection, yay! I'm thinking of doing a little re-arranging of how various machines boot, and I'm looking for a little advice on how best to accomplish the changes using your utilities, or perhaps just confirmation if I'm on track. The real questiosn are with Situations TWO and THREE...

Notes and background:
I currently have a Pi4-4GB that's hybrid booting from an SD card and a 120GB SSD with a USB adapter, this all having been set up using your scripts, and I'm satisfied with using hybrid booting. But I want to use a bigger drive.
I also have a Pi3B with the OTP bit set that's booting directly from a 500GB hard drive.
My "new" SSD-based USB drives are 240GB and 480GB.

Situation ONE. I want to ADD usb-booting to a different pi that has so far just booted from an SD card, using the 240GB USB drive. I see this as trivial; I just hook up the drive, run usb-boot and make appropriate choices, including copying root over from the SD to the USB drive.

Situation TWO. I'm considering turning the pi3B, currently booting from a hard drive with the OTP set, into hybrid booting. (To see if that's quicker, and for consistency, or perhaps just to try it.) I think I could just prepare a new SD card and boot with that, (which WOULDN'T use the HD), then run usb-boot to set up hybrid booting, choosing NOT to erase the existing hard drive.

Situation THREE. I wish to replace the small 120GB drive on the pi4 with the large 480GB drive. I think I have at least the following options to do so. Assume that I have a fresh incremental image-backup of the system (which will contain boot from the SD card, root from the current small USB):
A) Burn that image to the existing 32GB SD card, IF IT WILL FIT. Then I boot with that, hook up the larger drive instead of the smaller drive, (the larger drive will be ignored), run usb-boot and follow through the prompts, choosing to copy root from the card to the drive, and I'm set.
B) Burn the backup, boot and root, to the new larger drive, use sdc-boot to switch the existing SD card to use its own boot and root, then boot with the new drive attached (which will be ignored), run usb-boot to set up hybrid booting, choosing NOT to erase the existing hard drive, as above in Situation TWO.

Situation FOUR: I now have a spare 120GB SSD USB drive which can be added to any pi, but that's trivial as per Situation ONE.

Thoughts, confirmation, refutation?

RonR

Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:02 pm

tinker2much wrote:
Situation TWO. I'm considering turning the pi3B, currently booting from a hard drive with the OTP set, into hybrid booting. (To see if that's quicker, and for consistency, or perhaps just to try it.) I think I could just prepare a new SD card and boot with that, (which WOULDN'T use the HD), then run usb-boot to set up hybrid booting, choosing NOT to erase the existing hard drive.

That should do it.
tinker2much wrote:
Situation THREE. I wish to replace the small 120GB drive on the pi4 with the large 480GB drive. I think I have at least the following options to do so. Assume that I have a fresh incremental image-backup of the system (which will contain boot from the SD card, root from the current small USB):
A) Burn that image to the existing 32GB SD card, IF IT WILL FIT. Then I boot with that, hook up the larger drive instead of the smaller drive, (the larger drive will be ignored), run usb-boot and follow through the prompts, choosing to copy root from the card to the drive, and I'm set.
B) Burn the backup, boot and root, to the new larger drive, use sdc-boot to switch the existing SD card to use its own boot and root, then boot with the new drive attached (which will be ignored), run usb-boot to set up hybrid booting, choosing NOT to erase the existing hard drive, as above in Situation TWO.

usb-boot will migrate/replicate from USB-to-USB, just as it does from SD-to-USB. Plug in your 480 GB drive, boot the 120 GB drive and run usb-boot. Select the 480 GB drive as the destination and answer yes to REPLICATE. The 120 GB drive will be copied to the 480 GB drive and the SD card will be changed to boot the 480 GB drive instead of the 120 GB drive. Reboot and you should be on the 480 GB drive. Easy, eh?

Always do a backup before attempting any changes just in case.

tinker2much

Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:53 pm

RonR wrote: tinker2much wrote: ↑

That should do it.
That worked great. I actually burned the RasPiOS lite to the card to save some time, figuring /boot would be the same. I booted with that card several times and it was fine. After using usb-boot, I booted again and I knew my drive was functioning as root since I wouldn't have had a desktop available on the card.
RonR wrote: tinker2much wrote: ↑

usb-boot will migrate/replicate from USB-to-USB, just as it does from SD-to-USB. Plug in your 480 GB drive, boot the 120 GB drive and run usb-boot. Select the 480 GB drive as the destination and answer yes to REPLICATE. The 120 GB drive will be copied to the 480 GB drive and the SD card will be changed to boot the 480 GB drive instead of the 120 GB drive. Reboot and you should be on the 480 GB drive. Easy, eh?
For this one, I plugged in the additional drive and ran usb-boot. I had checked, so I knew to choose sdd as the drive to use. Two questions now (its still in progress) - 1) given SSDs as both source and destination, and less than 40GB occupied, how long might this take? 2) is there any issue to the new SSD being Mac formatted, given that's the kind of machine I pulled it out of? I was assuming that you would repartition/reformat it as needed - is that true?

RonR

Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:09 pm

tinker2much wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:53 pm
For this one, I plugged in the additional drive and ran usb-boot. I had checked, so I knew to choose sdd as the drive to use. Two questions now (its still in progress) - 1) given SSDs as both source and destination, and less than 40GB occupied, how long might this take? 2) is there any issue to the new SSD being Mac formatted, given that's the kind of machine I pulled it out of? I was assuming that you would repartition/reformat it as needed - is that true?

Time is determined by the speed of the devices and the amount of data -- not easy to estimate. 40 GB is quite a bit.

usb-boot zeroes the partition table before creating new partitions and filesystems if MBR is selected (if GPT is selected, usb-boot relies on sgdisk to build a new partition table).

Return to “Advanced users”