luckymitra

Krack and turning WIFI off

Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:27 am

Hi all. If any of you follow the IT security world yo've probably heard of the Krack WPA 2 exploit by now . I was wondering will there be an update for Raspbain regarding this exploit? and also how do I turn Wifi off on my pi considering I[m using it for a server and it's connected to ethernet 24/7 alll the time. What do you guys do to turn off wifi at boot?

Thanks
Jay .

Paul Webster

Re: Krack and turning WIFI off

Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:00 am

See viewtopic.php?f=63&t=195507 for KrackAttack info

HawaiianPi

Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:34 am

Debian has already been patched, so if your Raspbian Jessie and Stretch systems are up to date they have the fixes in place. Also, if you are not even using the WiFi connection, then WiFi on or off on your Pi should not matter.

Now your router is another subject. Your router will need the fix or pretty much anything on your network using a wireless connection puts your entire network at risk. So if you are paranoid, then turn off WiFi on your router until you can confirm a firmware fix. Router makers were first notified in July, so some have fixed the issue, while others have not but are still working on it (and some may never fix it, especially for older models).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

davidcoton

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:56 pm

One router manufacturer's view here.
"If it ain't broke, fix it until it is."
“Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation”
The Pink Unicorn is a symbol of commitment to sensible discussion of future versions of the Raspberry Pi ™

Return to “Advanced users”