Wa2wwk

Pi for IRLP

Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:31 am

I would like to add a 1 tb usb drive to my pi for IRLP. This drive would only contain the html file. How do you link the pirlp to read/write to this external drive with the html file???Thanks.
Ron
WA2WWK

DougieLawson

Re: Pi for IRLP

Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:50 pm

Your fundamental problems here are:
1. You've posted in the "User groups and events" subforum, what's the event? Where the link to it? when does it happen? Can anyone join in?
2. You're assuming the general population on the forum has the first faintest clue what "IRLP" means.

Adding hard disks is trivial from a hardware point of view. Plug it in, wait for it to spin up, mount the filesystem.

Being able to write to a hard disk depends on the filesystem. If it's ext2, ext3, ext4 (or other Linux native) it's trivial. Look at dmesg to see what device appears when you've plugged in the hardware. Mount /dev/sdX1 /mnt (using the value from dmesg). Run away, grab a beer.

If the filesystem is non-native then who can access it depends on the mount command uid=xxx, gid=yyy options. If the filesystem is NTFS, you need to install ntfs-3g to get the drive writeable.

In all cases it helps if you can trash the contents and reformat as Linux native.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Wa2wwk

Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:49 pm

Sorry. IRLP is Internet Radio Protocal which is a VOIP system. A folder in the software is html. When you add stuff you can use the system as a web server. Due to the size of html files & the fact that the sd card has limited read write cycles I would like to use an external 1 tb hard drive. Hopefully that will help explain my problem. Thanks.
Ron

DougieLawson

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:12 pm

If the drive will only ever be used on Linux the format it as ext4.

If the drive needs to be unmounted and used on Windows, then format it as ntfs and install ntfs-3g driver.

When you plug it in the GUI will mount it at /media/pi/xxxx-xxxx-xxx/ where xxxx-xxxx-xxx is the disk's partition name or partuuid or UUID (depending on the formatting).

Once it's mounted it appears as part of the regular linux filesystem.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Wa2wwk

Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:37 pm

Thanks for your help. The drive will not be used on windows only pi1 or pi3 I assume I can make a folder on the new drive (html) and drag my stuff into that folder. I will also have to delete the same named folder on the sd card? Thanks again.
Ron

jimb137

Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:33 pm

I, too, was having a fun time with an NTFS volume. It's a portable drive and it could be mounted anywhere (PI, Windoze, other PC Linuxes, and maybe even an ancient Solaris box).

Installing the ntfs-3g stuff into my STRETCH system (PI 3) fixed the problem I was having with the drive mounting as ro, instead of rw. I also changed my /etc/fstab to fix the uid/gid stuff as:

OLD: /dev/sda1 /d1 ntfs rw,uid=pi,gid=pi 0 4

NEW: /dev/sda1 /d1 ntfs-3g rw,user_id=pi,group_id=pi 0 4

Now it mounts correctly as rw, but I can't change file permissions. When I do an ls -l everything shows up as 777 (RWXRWXRWX). I've tried:

chmod 755 * and
sudo chmod 755 *

to no avail.

OBTW, I have an ancient PI 1 with Wheezy, and the drive/OS combo works fine there.

Any ideas? Thanks

DougieLawson

Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:40 pm

[quote=j

Now it mounts correctly as rw, but I can't change file permissions. When I do an ls -l everything shows up as 777 (RWXRWXRWX). I've tried:

[/quote]
That's normal. Everyone can do everything to every file on the drive.

Return to “Advanced users”