bipsen

Network failover?

Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:57 pm

Hi

I have been searching google and tried 3-4 different approaches - but without any luck.

I would like my RPi3 to connect to my network - using WiFi if no cable is in eth0, and if a cable is connected to eth0, that should be the preferred interface.
Optimally the IP address is the same (static) - no matter whether I need to connect via WiFi or cabled network.

I am not sure whether bonding the network cards is the right solution - or using ifplugd ...

Has anyone had success in creating such a configuration? If yes, can you share your settings/config (disregard the SSID/PSK - of course I will need to use my own)

Thanks in advance
Brian

DougieLawson

Re: Network failover?

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:07 pm

ifplugd does that, it's desperately annoying behaviour which is why everything you find suggests uninstalling that piece.

ifplugd was abandoned with the migration from Wheezy to Jessie as that includes dhcpcd / dhcpcd5 for network management. You may need to look at whether dhcpcd can do that automatic failover (I'm never going to set that up ever again because I don't need it).
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

bipsen

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:13 pm

Hm.. Well, the version running on my Pi is Jessie ...

Anyway, any help is appreciated :-)

elmapache

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:55 pm

Have you looked at CARP? I've not configured it so I can't help with that.

https://www.linux.com/news/carp-your-wa ... ailability
Placa: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B.
Sistema operativo: OpenBSD 6.2.

Return to “Advanced users”