funstuff

how to run non arm application's ?

Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:35 pm

Hi all

Any sujestions on how to get windows/mac/ubuntu applications to run on raspbian pi/motorola phone/odroid ?

gkaiseril

Re: how to run non arm application's ?

Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:05 pm

I think you will need to get the source code for the applications in question and recompile them on the Raspberry Pi.

The ARM is the hardware processor that executes the applications machine code and that code needs to be compatible with the hardware processor.

What you are asking is similar to trying to run software complied for Mac OSX to run on a Windows 10 machine. The machine code within the application will not be compatible between the 2 systems because the microcode and machine code for the 2 systems is very different and not compatible.
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

rpdom

Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:34 pm

Most Ubuntu apps have an identical package in Raspbian for the Raspberry Pi.

You may be able to get some Windows apps to run using either Qemu and Wine, or the Exagear Desktop, but they will be very slow.

SurferTim

Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:35 pm

Some Windows apps can be run with Wine. I haven't tried it with a RPi.
https://eltechs.com/run-wine-on-raspberry-pi/

funstuff

Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:08 am

hmm all sounds a litel complecated. But I asume all is equaly hard as far as doing it with phone, odroid and r pi.

B.Goode

Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:30 am

funstuff wrote:hmm all sounds a litel complecated. But I asume all is equaly hard as far as doing it with phone, odroid and r pi.
If you start with the general assumption that applications will only run on the hardware and operating system they were compiled for you are unlikely to be disappointed.

Return to “Advanced users”