earthian

SD Card partitions and M$ Windows

Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:25 am

Hello

I have recently stumbled upon a problem where M$ Windows is simply refusing to read anything but the first partition on the SD Card which is the Linux /boot formatted in FAT16. Is there a way to make Windows read another partition instead? I am OK if it reads only one, as long as it is the right one I need. :)

Here is my prefered setup:
Partition 1: /boot FAT16
Partition 2: / ext4
Partition 3: /home/storage FAT32 (the rest of storage space)

Unfortunately the storage partition is useless under Windows which is not what I want.. Maybe if I hide the other partition would work or maybe something else? Ideas please?

My current setup:
Partition 1: /boot FAT16
Partition 2: / ext4 (the rest of storage space, incl. /home)

Kind Regards
Andy

redhawk

Re: SD Card partitions and M$ Windows

Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:50 am

No idea but you probably need to allocate a drive with Disk Manager (Start, Run, diskmgmt.msc).

If you need to read your ext4 partition DiskInternals Linux Reader comes highly recommended - http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

Richard S.

Dweeber

Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:04 am

Interesting tool.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

earthian

Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:41 pm

Hi,

Windows refuses to work with the SD card flashed with the Raspbian image at all because it already has more than one partition. So Windows internal partitioning software is out of question.

The original question basically means: What do I need to do, to be able to read the large storage partition in Windows and have the SD Card still boot-able with my RPi? Currently I can read the tiny /boot partition and that is all. If I move the partitions in different places the SD Card is no longer bootable....although I did not try to do this properly hard enough yet.

P.S. I am not a Windows user so I do not care what tools exist on the Microsoft platform to partition the SD Card.

obcd

Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:51 pm

Windows has native support for fat, fat32 and ntfs partitions. So, if you want the partitions to show up in windows, you will need to create a third partition of that type and mount is as home.
You can also smb share the home folder. In that case, if you turn the Pi on, the folder will become visible for windows pc's. It's unclear what you want and were you want it for.

earthian

Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:43 pm

obcd wrote:Windows has native support for fat, fat32 and ntfs partitions. So, if you want the partitions to show up in windows, you will need to create a third partition of that type and mount is as home.
You can also smb share the home folder. In that case, if you turn the Pi on, the folder will become visible for windows pc's. It's unclear what you want and were you want it for.
Thank you for your replies.

That is exactly the problem I faced with Windows. Windows supports the filesystems BUT it does not support the fact that a storage device can have more than one partition (!!!).. :(

What I want to do is the following:

1. Raspberry Pi is preloaded and configured with music player which reads a directory /home/storage for audio files and plays them whenever a "Play" button is pressed somewhere.

2. The user of the Raspberry Pi (e.g. my mom) can either upload the music she wants via cifs, nfs (cause my house is more Linux friendly) or simply take the SD card out, plug it into her laptop and put the tracks directly onto the SD card partition "RPi Music" which gets mounted to /home/storage on system start-up (fstab)

This would work no problem with Linux laptop (or maybe even MacOS), however we also have some random Windows laptops which are the problem... this is also the case with some of my friends who would like a gadget like that :)

Regards

P.S. Can somebody with a Apple MAC Test this? Eg. plug an SD card with multiple partitions and see if all of them are read and mountable under MacOS - feedback would be highly appreciated!

CPOKashue

Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:16 am

The problem is that Windows can't read the partition the Pi uses. What you would want is to create your boot partition, then NOT have it fill the card on reboot in the Pi. I don't know if there's a way to have it use more than the minimum but less than the whole. You can't partition it ahead of time (at least not in windows) because the windows imaging tools overwrite all partitions on the card. Maybe Linux has more robust linux boot imaging tools? :)
Of course this also depends on the Pi being able to read from a second partition. No idea if it can.

Stupid question- could you just use a thumb drive in one of your USB ports?

jaromanda

Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:37 am

As far a I know, without some trickery, windows will only see the FIRST partition on an SD card

so why not

Partition 1: /home/storage FAT32
Partition 2: /boot FAT16
Partition 3: / ext4

with partition 2 being marked as bootable
I now own 2 RPi - does that mean I own a circumference?

itimpi

Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:59 pm

I think it is a requirement of the Pi booting code that the first partition be the boot one.

I guess the solution would be to create a custom image where the first partition is much larger than the size normally set up. i wonder if one could gparted on a PC/Mac to resize the partitions in this way after writing the initial image to the SD card.

jaromanda

Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:06 am

itimpi wrote:I think it is a requirement of the Pi booting code that the first partition be the boot one.
it seems your "thought" was right - rather than guessing, I tried it - and failed

some docos say the "boot" partition on the SD card needs to be FAT32 etc etc
some docos say the "first" partition on the SD card needs to be FAT32 etc etc

too bad the "boot" flag in the partition table is irrelevant to the RPi - otherwise it would be as simple as the suggestion I made
I now own 2 RPi - does that mean I own a circumference?

lostgdi

Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:06 am

thank you so much, at least , I can have my file copied from SD after I blocked with setting wrong networking.

FM81

Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:08 am

Only as idea, I haven't tested a the moment:
First: It makes no sense if partition with bootfiles is marked as active or not. Works in both cases.
Second: You can make a BIG boot-partition, as far as I know FAT32 works too.
Third: You can put data there, and Windows will see. (Not a nice solution, but how ever.)
Fourth (optional): If you want to make point 3 a little more "fine" you can create a subfolder in '/boot' and make a bind-mount.

MfG, FM_81
A: What does the command 'cat /dev/urandom', can you tell me please?
B: Yeah, that's very simple: It feeds your cat with radioactive material!

SirLagz

Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:19 am

jaromanda wrote:
itimpi wrote:I think it is a requirement of the Pi booting code that the first partition be the boot one.
it seems your "thought" was right - rather than guessing, I tried it - and failed

some docos say the "boot" partition on the SD card needs to be FAT32 etc etc
some docos say the "first" partition on the SD card needs to be FAT32 etc etc

too bad the "boot" flag in the partition table is irrelevant to the RPi - otherwise it would be as simple as the suggestion I made
The first LOGICAL partition needs to be fat32.
So the partition layout could be like this and it should still work -
Free space - 60MB
/dev/mmcblk0p2 - 2GB
/dev/mmcblk0p1 - 2GB
My Blog - http://www.sirlagz.net
Visit my blog for Tips, Tricks, Guides and More !
WiFi Issues ? Have a look at this post ! http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044

musyne

Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:06 pm

Same problem here.
I have 3 partitions:
1- boot (small)
2- linux (medium)
3- fat32 (what's left)

It works fine on Mac and Linux but Windows doesn't see the fat32 partition.
If anyone have a solution I'm all ears :)
In the meantime I'll make a big boot partition.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:13 pm

musyne wrote:Same problem here.
I have 3 partitions:
1- boot (small)
2- linux (medium)
3- fat32 (what's left)

It works fine on Mac and Linux but Windows doesn't see the fat32 partition.
If anyone have a solution I'm all ears :)
In the meantime I'll make a big boot partition.
Windows will only see the a FAT16/32 partition if it is the first partition afaiaa, also the Raspberry Pi will seek a FAT16/32 first partition afaiaa.

Linux/BSDUnix are not as picky as MS Windows ;)
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

anita2r

Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:09 pm

Have you considered making the data partition ext4 and using Samba on your Pi to make the partition accessible to Windows PC's on your network.

Samba can be set to share any partition or just particular folders. It translates the file system in both directions - read & write, so Windows does not need any special software.

This way you won't need to take the SD card out of your Pi to read the data on the third partition.

Here is a section of a samba configuration file:

Code: Select all

[1w]
        comment = 1-wire data files on RP1
        path = /var/1w_files
        valid users = @rmtusers
        read only = No
this makes my 1-wire data files on a Pi, accessible to my network, under the name '1w'. Using Network neighborhood or whatever, you will see the Pi and clicking on it reveals the 1w folder. It is readable by both Windows and Linux-based machines. /var is mounted on a partition on a usb memory stick, but could be the 3rd partition on the SD card.

Regards

anita2R

kafanti

Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:37 pm

Hello everyone,

Even though this topic has already abandoned, I would like to ask if someone able to reach file system on SD card from both windows OS and Linux. So I would like to ask that am I able to reach file system on SD card from Windows OS to put some videos and music into it? So I can play those on my raspberry pi which rasbian running on it.

I have already tried to make 3rd partition as FAT32 but because of Windows OS I am not able to reach it...

If someone can help, I will be appreciated.

Sina

fruitoftheloom

Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:51 pm

kafanti wrote:Hello everyone,

Even though this topic has already abandoned, I would like to ask if someone able to reach file system on SD card from both windows OS and Linux. So I would like to ask that am I able to reach file system on SD card from Windows OS to put some videos and music into it? So I can play those on my raspberry pi which rasbian running on it.

I have already tried to make 3rd partition as FAT32 but because of Windows OS I am not able to reach it...

If someone can help, I will be appreciated.

Sina
Windows does not recognise EXT File System, you need 3rd Party Software

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-windows
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

DougieLawson

Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:15 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote: Windows does not recognise EXT File System, you need 3rd Party Software

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-windows
Or a bootable USB stick, or bootable CD-ROM with a live Linux CD like Knoppix.
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

kafanti

Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:13 am

I have just enlarged my boot partition.. I hope that won't make a problem in future..

Thank you

SMALZ21

Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:20 pm

Topic is abandoned but I had this issue and found this post, so for future readers:

Windows will only recognize the first partition on the SD card, which must be the /boot partition for the Pi or it will not boot up. If you want you files viewable on Windows you'll need to increase the size of your /boot partition and make a folder for you files in there. Of course, this comes with issues as you can't just edit /boot without proper permissions. But either way, if you really want the files available on Windows increase the /boot partition size and save your files there, which is certainly doable. A nice tutorial on how to increase the /boot partition size can be found here:

https://learn.adafruit.com/resizing-ras ... partitions

Return to “Advanced users”