mvdm

How does ACPI work in Jessie

Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:25 pm

Hi,

I have been trying to get a battery indicator as a panel applet on my Pi-Top. I know there is a Battery Monitor built into Jessie that works with ACPI.

1.) How does ACPI work in this environment?
I did find the following...
/proc/acpi/battery/*/{info,state}
charging/discharging/charged/remaining capacity ...

2.) What do I need for the Battery Monitor to pick it up?

topguy

Re: How does ACPI work in Jessie

Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:04 pm

My initial instinct is that "it doesnt".
I believe ACPI is a PC BIOS/Motherboard thing, the interfaces between battery and laptop is more advanced that a simple usb-charger port which is what the Pi have.

Edit: I don't know what extra circuitry is added by the "pi-top" that might be used for monitoring battery levels, but I have a feeling their support forum might be a better place to ask this question.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:59 pm

ACPI - not natively !!!

The ATX-Pi adds "ACPI" type functionality to the Pi (automatic hardware based shutdown).

https://hackaday.io/project/1967-atx-pi

So as above stated ask Pi-Top how they handle Power management.....
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

mvdm

Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:33 am

topguy wrote:
I believe ACPI is a PC BIOS/Motherboard thing, the interfaces between battery and laptop is more advanced that a simple usb-charger port which is what the Pi have.

Edit: I don't know what extra circuitry is added by the "pi-top" that might be used for monitoring battery levels, but I have a feeling their support forum might be a better place to ask this question.
I have figured out how to manage the power, I can monitor it, I can shut it down etc, which is why i came to this forum and not Pi-Top. Pi-Top will tell me to run Pi-Top OS and not the standard runoff the mill Raspbian Jessie with pixel. I know the pi does not contain ACPI in a "traditional" BOIS nor has the hardware to do this. I want to know how do I implement this in the OS, even if I have to "fake it".
2017-04-08-121045_1366x768_scrot-min.png
2017-04-08-121045_1366x768_scrot-min.png (29.36 KiB) Viewed 1990 times
If Raspbian does not support ACPI then why is there a Battery Monitor LXPanel Applet build into the standard distro that says "Display battery status using ACPI".

From what I understand there needs to be "/proc/acpi/battery" and some file containing specific data and the battery monitor applet will work. But I have been unable to find any documentation relating to this. So my best guess is that either Raspbian supports this, and one one knows how to use it. Or the battery monitor applet is completely useless and should not be in the distro as it's misleading people. I'm not sure which is the case.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:50 am

mvdm wrote:
topguy wrote:

I have figured out how to manage the power, I can monitor it, I can shut it down etc, which is why i came to this forum and not Pi-Top. Pi-Top will tell me to run Pi-Top OS and not the standard runoff the mill Raspbian Jessie with pixel. I know the pi does not contain ACPI in a "traditional" BOIS nor has the hardware to do this. I want to know how do I implement this in the OS, even if I have to "fake it".
2017-04-08-121045_1366x768_scrot-min.png
If Raspbian does not support ACPI then why is there a Battery Monitor LXPanel Applet build into the standard distro that says "Display battery status using ACPI".

From what I understand there needs to be "/proc/acpi/battery" and some file containing specific data and the battery monitor applet will work. But I have been unable to find any documentation relating to this. So my best guess is that either Raspbian supports this, and one one knows how to use it. Or the battery monitor applet is completely useless and should not be in the distro as it's misleading people. I'm not sure which is the case.

The Battery settings are not in the standard Raspbian Jessie with Pixel Operating System run on a bog standard Raspberry Pi 3B
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

ghans

Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:41 pm

Nobody actually tests all packages in Raspbian for real-world usability. I wouldn't be
surprised to find dozens of packages ready to install and in "working condition" which
solely deal with PCI , SCSI and FireWire hardware.

If you want to emulate ACPI you probably need to write kernel code , e.g. a kernel
module.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

mvdm

Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:49 pm

I found this and ACPI as well as the battery indicator does work on the PI. Hopefully this helps someone else, it took me a long time to find this:

This Implements ACPI battery for the PiTop: https://github.com/bcnjr5/linux-pitop-battery

Return to “Advanced users”