TerryC65

Mount USB Stick at Bootup

Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:05 am

Hi,

For my project, to restore the bells and music to the local Model Town Minster, I want the system to run headless and so I won't need (or want) to run the desktop. The Python code is now working when tested in IDLE, so all I have left to do is start the script automatically at boot-up. (I will also need to boot into the system with the SD Card read-only, but that's another story.)

The software is running on a Pi 3 in Raspbian Pixel which is fully up to date. The music and chimes are all held on a removable USB stick plugged into one of the Pi's USB ports. When I boot into Raspbian Pixel (the desktop), this drive appears at /media/pi/MEDIA where MEDIA is the label of the USB Stick.

If I execute my python code from within the desktop, eg using IDLE, everything works OK. When I launch the script from the boot-up shell, I get 'permission denied'. On investigation, it looks like it's the MEDIA directory that is denied to me.

If I type:

Code: Select all

cd /media/pi/MEDIA
I get the permission denied message, even if I prefix the command with sudo. If I type:

cd /media/pi
I can enter the directory and list it's contents.

I'm assuming this is an idiosyncrasy of Raspbian (or Debian that it's derived from). I therefore decided that I need to mount the USB Stick in fstab and pointing atthe pi user's home directory. However, I don't seem to be able to do that.

I first tried mounting it manually using:

/dev/disk/by-label/MEDIA /home/pi/WMT
This works, but when I try to add the equivalent line to fstab:

/dev/disk/by-label/MEDIA /home/pi/WMT defaults 0 0
The pi goes into 'emergency mode' at boot up.

Can anyone give me the right fstab line?

DougieLawson

Re: Mount USB Stick at Bootup

Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:09 am

Use sudo blkid /dev/sda to find a UUID or PARTUUID for the partition you want to mount.

Stick a line in /etc/fstab with

PARTUUID=vvwwxxyy-0n /home/pi/WMT ext4 defaults 0 0 
(Change to ntfs-3g or vfat or whatever if it's not ext4 formatted)
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

TerryC65

Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:11 am

DougieLawson wrote:Use sudo blkid /dev/sda to find a UUID or PARTUUID for the partition you want to mount.
I was trying to avoid using UUID so that staff members can replace the USB Stick (should it fail) without having to know how to edit fstab; just change the label on the stick.

TerryC65

Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:17 am

DougieLawson wrote:Use Stick a line in /etc/fstab with

PARTUUID=vvwwxxyy-0n /home/pi/WMT ext4 defaults 0 0 
(Change to ntfs-3g or vfat or whatever if it's not ext4 formatted)
Actually, disregard my last post; I'd left out the filesystem entry (vfat in this case). Your suggestion gave me the clue.

My first attempts had it in, but I was working out the path to the drive, getting it wrong, and making the entry simpler as I went. Well I made it too simple...

Return to “Advanced users”