dot-notdot

Silent Pi Boot

Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:18 pm

A few people have asked for a way to silence the Pi's boot & make it seem less scary/to add a splash screen & I thought I'd share my set up. If you download the attached zip & follow the instructions as to which files need their contents replacing you're halfway there

Note - I said replace the contents of and not replace the files. If you replace the files you'll break things, so just don't do it edit them instead

Then just add loglevel=1 to cmdline.txt in the /boot partition & you're good to go

You will have a very quiet boot

p.s. This turns off a lot of the standard Linux command line logging features so be warned, this quiet boot fix could cripple you later if you're getting invisible scripting problems
Attachments
Really Quiet Boot.zip
Required Files
(8.1 KiB) Downloaded 9252 times

InnocentSam

Re: Silent Pi Boot

Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:20 pm

Bookmarked for when my Pi arrives, looks like neat stuff!

dot-notdot

Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:19 pm

Sorry made a mistake with my first attempt at making this guide and in the process of correcting it made another

I don't know how to set up a splash screen - my best advice is to look into frame buffer control at boot time to push an image to the screen

Jiggles

Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:15 am

How do I go about replacing the content within the files without having to type it allll out? Theres no way in Nano to highlight all the paste in the new code!

kevinthefixer

Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:36 am

Code: Select all

sudo leafpad
and don't forget to save!

Or as the song said, don't forget to boogie.

solar3000

Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:15 pm

What?? I want more messages showing up at bootup! Not less.
Its not scarey. I don't know anyone who doesn't simply ignore the scrolling texts at boot up.
Antikythera

hinternetavatar

Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:00 am

Please can you explain in a little more detail what is happening here, and what it disables once the boot is out of the way.

Are you removing the parts that print to terminal, or is it preemptively reporting false data, and not checking anything at all on startup?

Return to “Advanced users”