oli013

how to boot a P3 with a 4 To HDD

Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:39 pm

Hi all,

I try to use my PI3 with only a big HDD without my SD Card.
I had follow the explanations fount at https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... des/msd.md and label my HDD disk with (parted) mklabel gpt instead of msdos but the system won't boot !

any idea are welcome ;) !
Thanks

mfa298

Re: how to boot a P3 with a 4 To HDD

Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:01 am

It might be the case that the small bit of built in firmware on the Pi3 only supports msdos style partitioning. If that's the case (and I suspect it is) you'll be limited to 2TB or smaller drives.

M6YRU

Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:45 am

mfa298 wrote:It might be the case that the small bit of built in firmware on the Pi3 only supports msdos style partitioning. If that's the case (and I suspect it is) you'll be limited to 2TB or smaller drives.
if it be a true msdos partition wouldnt that be small like 2gb on dos 6.22 and only 540mb if it was dos 6.0...
what was the max dos could do with fat32 without the hard drive manufactorers data loaded to expand to large drives was it 8.4gb???

been such a long time!

Siamak

Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:06 am

Hi All,

After what I have done myself, RasPi does not have a BIOS so it needs the SD to start the boot and then it passes it to the USB Drive, either USB Key or a Hard Drive.

In order to make the Hard Drive available for RasPi it needs to be formatted FAT32, you need a utility for that there are plenty of them around.

The image must be then written to the HD and then copy the content of the HD to the SD card, I am sure you have done what its needed, but if you leave the SD in, the whole thing will boot really faster.

Best wishes

Siamak

mfa298

Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:23 am

M6YRU wrote:
mfa298 wrote:It might be the case that the small bit of built in firmware on the Pi3 only supports msdos style partitioning. If that's the case (and I suspect it is) you'll be limited to 2TB or smaller drives.
if it be a true msdos partition wouldnt that be small like 2gb on dos 6.22 and only 540mb if it was dos 6.0...
what was the max dos could do with fat32 without the hard drive manufactorers data loaded to expand to large drives was it 8.4gb???

been such a long time!
Note I said msdos style partitioning, also known as MBR partitioning. This is the layer (or two) up from the filesystem on specific partitions.

msdos/mbr partitioning contains 4 primary partitions, one of which can be an extended partition holding logical partitions. Disks with this style of partition latyout are limited to 2TB as the partition data uses 32bit numbers and is based on 512byte blocks.

For larger drives (greater than 2TB) you need to use the GPT partition table which uses a different layout on disk. Each partition entry (and there can be a lot of them) contains a UUID to identify the partition as well as a UUID to identify it's type (rather than the single byte used in MBR). You can also specify a name for the partition.

Booting from a GPT based drive requires that the firmware (on the GPU for the Pi, in the Bios for a PC) understands the GPT partition table layout so it can find the relevant partition to boot from. You also need an operating system that understands and can boot from GPT partitions (Linux can, Windows requires specific bios types).

Zootalaws

Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:10 am

oli013 wrote:Hi all,

I try to use my PI3 with only a big HDD without my SD Card.
I had follow the explanations fount at https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... des/msd.md and label my HDD disk with (parted) mklabel gpt instead of msdos but the system won't boot !

any idea are welcome ;) !
Thanks
I followed the same instructions with my 512GB HDD and my 32GB Sandisk USB flash drive with Jessie Lite and full-fat, and couldn't get it to boot, either. I will try again. and again, and again :) So many people have managed to do it, it must be something simple that I have overlooked.

Any help gratefully received, though...

Return to “Advanced users”