Ziadhorat

Use 3 heatsinks?

Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:15 pm

Now i can easily place a heatsink on the chip beneath the board, and it will go through a gap that is already in my case, my question it will you advise against it or with it?
It wont protrude too much, and on surface it will not touch the surface beneath it so yes or no?
I have 2 heatsinks installed, one on each of the chips on the top of the board already.

RaTTuS

Re: Use 3 heatsinks?

Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:30 pm

if you have a PI-3 the only one you may need is on the main SOC .
all the others are not needed
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Ziadhorat

Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:59 pm

RaTTuS wrote:if you have a PI-3 the only one you may need is on the main SOC .
all the others are not needed
I have a 3B, does that make a difference?
But thanks, i have noticed the second smaller heatsink not heating up.

Tinderbox (UK)

Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:14 pm

The IO chip can get hot if you have a lot of high power usb devices connected, I have seen in infrared photo of the Pi3B.

I put a heatsink on the SOC the IO and ram chip on the bottom of the board, it was a 3 pack of heatsinks

John.
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

jahboater

Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:29 pm

Sometimes the heatsinks come in a pack of three, with a little one specially for the I/O chip. In which case you might as well use them, it does no harm.

But the main chip to worry about is the SoC as others have said.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:49 pm

Tinderbox (UK) wrote:The IO chip can get hot if you have a lot of high power usb devices connected, I have seen in infrared photo of the Pi3B.

I put a heatsink on the SOC the IO and ram chip on the bottom of the board, it was a 3 pack of heatsinks

John.
I think what you have seen is a very early version of the PI that had a small hardware bug that caused the LAN9512 to become hotter than normal.
having a lot of high power usb devices connected has no influence on the LAN9512 chip whatsoever, its not doing any USB power management.

IMHO the only heatsink with any use is the one for the SoC of the PI3.

Ziadhorat

Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:08 pm

jahboater wrote:Sometimes the heatsinks come in a pack of three, with a little one specially for the I/O chip. In which case you might as well use them, it does no harm.

Yes it would do no harm, so i think i will stick it on as mine too came with a 3 pack.
Thanks alot.

Astariux

Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:39 pm

well if you want to get really serious there's always this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RggpIEYh9VU

jahboater

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:48 pm

Ziadhorat wrote:
jahboater wrote:Sometimes the heatsinks come in a pack of three, with a little one specially for the I/O chip. In which case you might as well use them, it does no harm.

Yes it would do no harm, so i think i will stick it on as mine too came with a 3 pack.
Thanks alot.
I find the best position is with the Pi mounted on edge as the better convection airflow improves cooling. Also make sure the heat sink fins are aligned vertically, again improves the airflow.

Return to “Advanced users”