Reuy

Duplicating System.

Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:45 pm

So essentially i wish to duplicate everything about my current system on to another SD card.

I have used the read function with win32diskimager, but both SD cards are 16 gb , and maybe due to model being different the blank SD card is too small ( 512 bytes or something silly).

The kodi system i wish to copy however is partitioned to 16 gb but probably only takes up around 4 gb.

Question is :-

How can i work round this , how do i dulicate my system ?

Any information would be great thank you guys!

kusti8

Re: Duplicating System.

Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:59 pm

What OS? Is this Raspbian?
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

hazeii

Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:55 pm

Easy way: duplicate onto a 32Gb card (it'll still only use about 16GB).

More complicated: plug original SD card into a USB adapter and use 'resize2fs' to shrink the partition (to say 15.5Gb); then delete and recreate the partion using *exactly* the same starting parameters (using e.g. fdisk). You'll then be able to duplicate the card using a slighly smaller overall size.

nl3prc

Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:41 pm

i had a debian jessie ful desktop on a 64gb sd card and about 12 gb was used on the card i placed a emty 16gb card via an usb adaptor in the usb port and run the script it made a perfect copy of the one of the 64gb to a 16gb card
be aware that the data used is not more than 16gb when you put it on a 16gb card
use command df -h to see the space used

https://github.com/billw2/rpi-clone

make a copy of the sd card first with somthing like win32diskmaneger first
So you can always burn it on a 32gb card when something is going oke

Reuy

Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:45 pm

kusti8 wrote:What OS? Is this Raspbian?
This is a Kodi system.
hazeii wrote:Easy way: duplicate onto a 32Gb card (it'll still only use about 16GB).

More complicated: plug original SD card into a USB adapter and use 'resize2fs' to shrink the partition (to say 15.5Gb); then delete and recreate the partion using *exactly* the same starting parameters (using e.g. fdisk). You'll then be able to duplicate the card using a slighly smaller overall size.
I will have look at that now thank you will inform you how it goes.

nl3prc wrote:i had a debian jessie ful desktop on a 64gb sd card and about 12 gb was used on the card i placed a emty 16gb card via an usb adaptor in the usb port and run the script it made a perfect copy of the one of the 64gb to a 16gb card
be aware that the data used is not more than 16gb when you put it on a 16gb card
use command df -h to see the space used

https://github.com/billw2/rpi-clone

make a copy of the sd card first with somthing like win32diskmaneger first
So you can always burn it on a 32gb card when something is going oke
Yeah was trying to avoid buying a bigger memory card although i know they are about 5 quid haha. Will have a go at resizing the partition soon !

Sorry for the late replies guys i have been busy with work :lol:

Return to “Advanced users”