Severian

How to install Firefox 38(aka iceweasel)

Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:56 am

Howdy,
I am back to the Raspberry Pi after a 5 month absence for medical reasons and I see my jessie machines now have Firefox 45. On my x86 boxes, I can use force package in synaptic to get a usable version of Firefox, but the option is not available on Raspbian Jessie. I see in http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/rasp ... iceweasel/ what looks to be a source version of version 38. Is compiling it from source my best option? I'd like to know in general, so I can advise other RPi users in the area. I don't see an older iceweasel or firefox available in Synaptic in any way I have thought to look.

And, in case you wonder why I want an older version, I'll explain. Firefox broke the proper handling of cookies in about version 44. It used to be that I could configure it to ask me every time and for most domains, I would just tell it to deny and remember. I run NoScript, too. These two things are essential for browsing, as far as I am concerned.
Thank you,
Ralph

fruitoftheloom

Re: How to install Firefox 38(aka iceweasel)

Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:46 am

FYI Debian uses Firefox ESR (previously rebranded to IceWeasel), it has subtle differences to Firefox Dektop versions: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

First find IceWeasel available versions:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install apt-show-versions

apt-show-versions --package=iceweasel --allversions
You may have to un-install the current firefox-esr

sudo apt-get remove firefox-esr

Then install available version which is something like:

sudo apt-get install iceweasel=38.8.0esr-1~deb8u1
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

Severian

Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:34 am

fruitoftheloom wrote: First find IceWeasel available versions:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install apt-show-versions

apt-show-versions --package=iceweasel --allversions
I had tried another apt command and it only shows 45.3.0esr-1~deb8u1 available:
apt-cache policy iceweasel
apt-show-versions did not make sense to me. I now realize it requires you to install the program(i.e., iceweasel) before it will show you what other versions are available.
fruitoftheloom wrote: You may have to un-install the current firefox-esr

sudo apt-get remove firefox-esr
I did not have it installed. I meant that I only saw version 45 available in synaptic.
fruitoftheloom wrote: Then install available version which is something like:

sudo apt-get install iceweasel=38.8.0esr-1~deb8u1
I just get a message that the version was not found. This makes some sense to me, since apt-cache policy did not show any versions. I understand firefox is hard to build, but I may have to give it a try. I'd still like to have a usabe firefox, but I can wait a week or two.
Thank you for your suggestions.

Severian

Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:42 am

This is not going well. I miss being able to browse the web with any of the Raspberry Pis running Raspbian jessie. I tried installing from the Nov 2015 image and still no luck. I thought I would try installing the source package and then building the .deb from it.
apt-cache madison iceweasel shows:
main Sources
iceweasel | 38.8.0esr-1~deb8u1 | http://archive.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie/main Sources

and so I thought I was making progress.. So, then I did:
apt-get source iceweasel=38.8.0esr-1~deb8u1 and got:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Picking 'firefox-esr' as source package instead of 'iceweasel'
E: Can not find version '38.8.0esr-1' of package 'iceweasel'
E: Unable to find a source package for firefox-esr

Part of the problem seems to be that line saying it is picking firefox-esr. That can't be a useful thing. There is no source package for Firefox 38. I tried installing the version 38.8.0 .deb from the armhf repository of debian and that seg fauls when I run it. I think it is because the dependencies were not all installed. It would be nice to find a way to install all the dependencies of a .deb, but I have not found it.

For now, I am just sshing to some other computer on the network with a -X and running firefox from it. This means none of the new Jessie installs can be taken out and demoed. I am wondering about installing some fork of Firefox, like Pale Moon, but I don't know much about it. Any suggestions? Why did Firefox have to throw away proper cookie handling(this is a rhetorical question better answered elsewhere)?

Severian

Wed May 17, 2017 6:09 am

I still have not found a web browser for Jessie that works generally. In a class recently, I needed to retrieve some source code from the web with a Raspberry Pi. I tried links and it did a fine job. So, if you need a web browser on Jessie, I'd recommend that as the best solution at the moment. It is text only, so I can't do everything. But it can do most web based tasks.
Good luck

Return to “Advanced users”