Page 1 of 1

Pi2 to boot from SD card & use op. system from USB storage?

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:39 am
by csanyipal
Hi,

I have RPi2 model installed with Gentoo Linux on the SD card.
I have installed on this a Moodle site for my 10-15 students.

Can I set this system so so I can boot from SD card only, but to use the operating system from the USB storage device ( 1TB )?

If yes, will be such system slower than that installed on SD card only?

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:48 am
by fruit-uk
csanyipal wrote:Hi,

I have RPi2 model installed with Gentoo Linux on the SD card.
I have installed on this a Moodle site for my 10-15 students.

Can I set this system so so I can boot from SD card only, but to use the operating system from the USB storage device ( 1TB )?
Probably, it certainly works for raspbian installs.
If yes, will be such system slower than that installed on SD card only?
No, you will probably find it much more responsive.

Re: Pi2 to boot from SD card & use op. system from USB stora

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:01 am
by DougieLawson
csanyipal wrote: Can I set this system so so I can boot from SD card only, but to use the operating system from the USB storage device ( 1TB )?
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/pi-3-b ... rage-boot/

The piece to boot RPi1s and RPi2s from a read-only SDCard which just has bootcode.bin and nothing else isn't quite ready yet, but it will be released soon.

Re: Pi2 to boot from SD card & use op. system from USB stora

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:41 am
by gsh
Should push the new bootcode on Monday, just had a couple of small fixes to make!

Gordon

Re: Pi2 to boot from SD card & use op. system from USB stora

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:53 am
by csanyipal
Waw, I can't wait Monday!

When the new bootcode will available on Monday,
then what can one do to transfer her/his system from SD card to an external USB storage on Raspberry Pi 2 Model?

Re: Pi2 to boot from SD card & use op. system from USB stora

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:42 am
by DougieLawson
gsh wrote:Should push the new bootcode on Monday, just had a couple of small fixes to make!

Gordon
Has that push been done push of the bootcode been done? When will the BRANCH=next stuff be pulled back into the master branch? BRANCH=next still has the 4.4.17 kernel while the master branch has the 4.4.18 kernel.

Re: Pi2 to boot from SD card & use op. system from USB stora

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:18 am
by gsh
We'll move the new bootcode to the master branch when we're happy nothing has been broken in the move. Currently I believe there is still an outstanding bug with memory available on the new bootcode and I'll have to look at that later in the week (I'm on holiday in Greece at the moment!)

Gordon

Re: Pi2 to boot from SD card & use op. system from USB stora

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:21 pm
by DougieLawson
Thanks for the update. I've got my 3B running with the BRANCH=next code. I'll come back to this when I'm back in the UK from my holidays in Australia. My plan is to simplify the stuff that's on the SDCard in my B+ (which already has the rootfs on a hard drive) down to just bootcode.bin on a (otherwise mostly useless) 2GB SDCard that I've got kicking about.

Re: Pi2 to boot from SD card & use op. system from USB stora

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:39 am
by DougieLawson
I've reverted to an SDCard, the system was coming up with not enough RAM to run the GUI and anything else. It's got a RPF touch screen so it's a bit useless with limited RAM.

I'll try again when I'm back home (complete with my RPI3B) from Australia and can sit down for long enough to play with a TV and keyboard (with the touch screen disconnected) and get all the details whether I can overcome the problem with any of the memory split settings in /boot/config.txt.

Re: Pi2 to boot from SD card & use op. system from USB stora

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:46 am
by Severian
csanyipal wrote: When the new bootcode will available on Monday,
then what can one do to transfer her/his system from SD card to an external USB storage on Raspberry Pi 2 Model?
rsync is what I use. I install the system on a normal SD card. , then mount the USB hard drive, make and format the swap and root partition on the drive and the rsync the root partition from the SD card to the one on the hard drive. Change the cmdline.txt file in /boot to have root=/dev/sda2 or whatever it will be for you do a sync and then reboot. I usually configure the swap partion on the hard drive after I boot and then, I have a nice responsive Raspberry Pi with no worry about the SD card wearing out. I await info on the new boot modes of the RPi 3.
Good luck

Re: Pi2 to boot from SD card & use op. system from USB stora

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:51 am
by csanyipal
Severian wrote:
csanyipal wrote: When the new bootcode will available on Monday,
then what can one do to transfer her/his system from SD card to an external USB storage on Raspberry Pi 2 Model?
rsync is what I use. I install the system on a normal SD card. , then mount the USB hard drive, make and format the swap and root partition on the drive and the rsync the root partition from the SD card to the one on the hard drive. Change the cmdline.txt file in /boot to have root=/dev/sda2 or whatever it will be for you do a sync and then reboot. I usually configure the swap partion on the hard drive after I boot and then, I have a nice responsive Raspberry Pi with no worry about the SD card wearing out. I await info on the new boot modes of the RPi 3.
Good luck
Thank you very much! I shall do it as you advices.
But before I want to be sure: can I use for this my 1 TB external USB HDD?
Is there a limit in bytes of the storage device for this, say when I partitioning it and creating ext4 filesystems on the 1 TB HDD?

Re: Pi2 to boot from SD card & use op. system from USB stora

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:17 am
by Severian
csanyipal wrote: But before I want to be sure: can I use for this my 1 TB external USB HDD?
Is there a limit in bytes of the storage device for this, say when I partitioning it and creating ext4 filesystems on the 1 TB HDD?
I have done this with up to 500 GB drives. I would be amazed if a 1 TB drive gave you a problem. ext4 filesystems can be up to 1 exbibyte. I understand you have to prepare them with the right version of some tools if you go over 16 TB and I don't know if the RPi kernels will support over 16 TB. But, 1 TB should be safe. I don't use ext4, except when required. It has too many limitations and too poor performance, but it has the virtue of being supported in the stock RPi kernel.

Re: Pi2 to boot from SD card & use op. system from USB stora

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:15 am
by csanyipal
Severian wrote:
csanyipal wrote: But before I want to be sure: can I use for this my 1 TB external USB HDD?
Is there a limit in bytes of the storage device for this, say when I partitioning it and creating ext4 filesystems on the 1 TB HDD?
I have done this with up to 500 GB drives. I would be amazed if a 1 TB drive gave you a problem. ext4 filesystems can be up to 1 exbibyte. I understand you have to prepare them with the right version of some tools if you go over 16 TB and I don't know if the RPi kernels will support over 16 TB. But, 1 TB should be safe. I don't use ext4, except when required. It has too many limitations and too poor performance, but it has the virtue of being supported in the stock RPi kernel.
Which filesystem do you use then instead of ext4?

Re: Pi2 to boot from SD card & use op. system from USB stora

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:03 am
by Severian
csanyipal wrote: Which filesystem do you use then instead of ext4?
Typically, I use XFS.