Torben

Changing the behaviour of cleaning tmp-files

Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:20 pm

Hello,

I just noticed a message on my Raspberry Pi with Rasbpian Jessie, that I never saw before.

There is a message that the cleaning of the temporary files has been successfully done. Since the message comes some time after the boot, I would like to disable the notification.

To make a long story short: Is it possible to deactivate the notification of the temporary files cleaning?

Thanks!

experix

Re: Changing the behaviour of cleaning tmp-files

Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:26 pm

I don't have my pi available now, and somebody will probably give you exact info on this-- but you might try this: search for a phrase from the message in all files under /etc, for example
grep -r a_word_from_the_message /etc
If you find it, you can probably figure out how to alter that file. Tip: save it first, and mark your changes with a comment that you can easily find later.
Why is this message a problem?

Torben

Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:59 am

experix wrote:I don't have my pi available now, and somebody will probably give you exact info on this-- but you might try this: search for a phrase from the message in all files under /etc, for example
grep -r a_word_from_the_message /etc
If you find it, you can probably figure out how to alter that file. Tip: save it first, and mark your changes with a comment that you can easily find later.
Why is this message a problem?
The message is a problem, because I start headless full screen size application diretly after boot-up using the framebuffer for grapical output and the message rips my view apart...

jahboater

Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:32 am

How about mounting /tmp as tmpfs (in memory). That way it gets cleaned out automatically with every reboot. Save a bit of wear on the card too.
Add something like this to /etc/fstab

Code: Select all

tmpfs /tmp  tmpfs defaults,noatime 0 0
tmpfs /var/log  tmpfs defaults,noatime,size=64m 0 0

Return to “Advanced users”