reece2891

Using GPIO and a touch screen together...

Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:59 pm

Hi guys,

I am controlling a 2 channel relay on my Pi B+ and wanted to connect a touch screen to it too, I bought a screen from ebay (3.5" KeDei version 3) that works as a touch screen but unfortunately takes over the GPIO making it useless for what I need it for, I've seen other screens that connect to HDMI instead but they still need to be connected to the gpio pins for the touchscreen aspect.

Does anyone know of a screen I could use for this purpose? Or a way round it? I saw a blog where a guy messed about with the kernel to free up the pins but this looked over complicated and would probably cause more issues than solve.

I should add the cheapest solution would be best ;-)

Hope you can help,

Thanks

klricks

Re: Using GPIO and a touch screen together...

Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:44 pm

Even though the header from the screen may occupy the entire RPi 40 pins header, in reality it is only using a few of the pins.
You may be able to get some kind of pass through to get at the pins you need.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

reece2891

Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:49 am

The touchscreen doesn't physically use all the pins but apparently they are off limits software wise, I'll give it one more crack, cheers

hystrix

Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:52 am

Take a look at this:

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/2-8- ... erry-pi-v2

I had the same issue - a sound card using the GPIO, so USB was the way to go. It's not particularly cheap, but could be the solution you are looking for.

Return to “Advanced users”