jeffburg

Mounting UFS

Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:04 pm

Hey guys,

I am trying to make my Raspberry Pi running Raspbian Wheezy into a NetBoot server for my NeXT Cube. So far so good. The Pi is handing the cube a DHCP address and the Cube is requesting a boot file from tftpboot but I need to give it a boot file.

I have an OpenSTEP 4.2 install disc and I want to mount it as ready only so that I can copy the boot files 'boot' and 'mach' from it and put them in /nrv/tftp so the Pi can give them to my cube. I had no issues mounting this on other versions of linux with this command

sudo mount -t ufs -o ro,ufstype=nextstep /path/to/image /path/to/mount

but on the Pi its saying that UFS is unknown filesystem type. How can I add UFS support into Raspbian Wheezy?

Note* that I've had not much success mounting this on other Linux VM's on my Mac and then copying the files through NFS so I wanted to see if mounting it directly on the Pi would make things work better.

Thanks in advance for your help.

jdbennet

Re: Mounting UFS

Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:08 pm

Do you have UFS support in your kernel?

Try "sudo modprobe ufs"

jeffburg

Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:14 pm

I suppose not. I get.

FATAL: Module ufs not found.

I just installed Raspbian Wheezy by dd'ing the SD Card image from this URL <http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads>

Is it possible to add UFS after the fact?

AndrewS

Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:18 pm

jeffburg wrote:Is it possible to add UFS after the fact?
Yup - http://elinux.org/RPi_Kernel_Compilation

jeffburg

Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:56 am

Thanks for the link.

In the instructions it mentions the old kernel config can be found at /proc/config.gz on the RPi

I got that file and looked through it, I see the flag for UFS support enabled but the top of the file says its not to be modified and the instructions don't say how to take the file and use it when rebuilding the kernel.

Is there any way I can just mark yes on UFS on config file that my RPi already uses and then feed that file into the make command to build my kernel? Right now its making me configure everything manually, and I really only want to change one thing.

Thanks!

jdbennet

Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:27 pm

Copy /proc/config.gz to .config and edit it using menuconfig.

jeffburg

Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:02 am

Hey thanks for the suggestion.

I copied config.gz to .config and ran menuconfig and enabled UFS and saved it and then compiled the kernel on my Mac.

The instructions say with the newest firmware I can just drop the kernel onto the SD Card so I upgraded the firmware and the RPi boots fine with its original kernel but my custom kernel doesn't boot at all. I just see a colored square on the screen that I see right before linux starts to boot.

Just to try it, I ran the python script mentioned on Image and then moved that kernel to the SD card but it also did not boot.

Any suggestions?

jdbennet

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:28 pm

"I copied config.gz to .config and ran menuconfig and enabled UFS and saved it and then compiled the kernel on my Mac."

You mean *cross*-compiled, right??????
Build it on the device overnight.

jeffburg

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:06 pm

I was afraid the cross compiling would give me issues, but I just followed the directions on the RPi Kernel Compilation page.

I'm going to put this one hold until I get the problem on this thread solved.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 36&t=13284

If I can't get passed this stage, being able to mount a UFS volume won't matter.

Thanks for your help. I'll make sure to post here about successes and failures. Nothing is worst than helping someone and then not knowing if they ever got it to work or not.

Return to “Advanced users”