UsamaWaheed

Bridging LAN & WiFi

Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:30 pm

Hi,

I am not sure if i am posting it in the right section.However here is the scenario,

wlan0 is 192.168.8.0/24
raspberry Pi has the static IP on wlan0 : 192.168.8.200
I am connected to the internet using wlan0, now i just want to connect a single PC to to the same network as wlan0 as in bridge the network from eth0 to wlan0 so that the PC has the ip of 192.168.8.170. So it is accessible from all other systems connected to the wireless router. This feature is there with the software Connecitfy Hotspot Pro Bridging feature.

Bridging Feature of Connectify:

"""""With Bridging Mode enabled, Hotspot 2015 MAX connects devices on your hotspot directly back to the network you’re broadcasting. This powerful feature gives you the power to share across your home network and ensures full compatibility with many game consoles like PlayStation and Xbox, and streaming media devices like Google Chromecast and Apple TV.

Client devices that join your network get an IP address from the router of the network that you are sharing, and computers on the shared network can “talk” directly to the clients. This is because, in Bridging Mode, Hotspot 2015 MAX does not run a NAT or DHCP server, meaning it will not give out IP addresses to the clients. Instead, each client device will make a request to the DHCP server on the network you are sharing to get an IP address.

To networking software, all this means they are on the same network: broadcast, multicast, peer to peer, streaming audio, it all just works as if the client computers are on the shared network.""""""

Thanks,

8bitmicro

Re: Bridging LAN & WiFi

Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:09 am

If I'm understanding your question correctly, I recently did the same thing; using a Pi to wirelessly bridge an Ethernet-only 1997 RiscPC to my Wi-Fi network.

Using the script on this page: http://hackhappy.org/uncategorized/how- ... rk-bridge/

Use the wget command listed, then run the downloaded shell-script. Answer the questions to configure the bridge to fit in with your existing network and bingo!

This shell-script got me up and running in less than 5 minutes. My Ethernet-only Acorn RiscPC600 now has a Pi hanging out of its Ethernet port which then wirelessly connects it to the Internet via my Wi-Fi router.

Edit: IIRC, by default the shell-script enables DHCP services on the Pi, so the IP of the connected PC will be dynamic and not fixed. A little further Googling may get you exactly the result you're looking for but it's a start and you can study the script, then modify to taste.

Linux-based network bridging isn't my strong suit. This is why I found the shell-script above to be a simple and effective solution to my specific requirement but your mileage may vary.

aimc

Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:16 pm

Hello, i have a similar setup and needs as the OP.

Do i have to disable DHCP to make it work? How do i do that?

Greetings,

T4b

Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:56 pm

I haven't tried it myself, but the pointers to get your research started would be that you need to edit /etc/network/interfaces to configure this.
I've got something like the following in an interfaces file on a computer of mine, but it's not copy-and-pasteable (configured for static IP adress and using other interface names):

Code: Select all

iface eth0 inet manual
iface eth1 inet manual
auto xenbr0
iface xenbr0 inet static
   bridge_ports eth0 eth1

Return to “Advanced users”