Thierry-13

Re: Linux kernel is now 4.0

Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:53 pm

Thank you for the tip Mr Engman

paladin252

Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:10 am

working fine for me running my mumble server. smooth and hassle free upgrade.

BrandtK

Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:42 pm

Hi, does this also support systemd?

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:29 pm

BrandtK wrote:Hi, does this also support systemd?
You may have to be more specific.
systemd in a feature of the distribution, not the kernel. systemd is the default init system in debian jessie, but not in debian wheezy (which the current raspbian is based on).

So, the 4.0 kernel won't provide systemd. But it shouldn't break it, if you are currently using it in your distribution.

Note: An official raspbian image using debian jessie (and hence systemd) is currently being worked on. There are also a few unofficial sdcard images that include systemd.

BrandtK

Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:38 pm

dom wrote:
BrandtK wrote:Hi, does this also support systemd?
You may have to be more specific.
systemd in a feature of the distribution, not the kernel. systemd is the default init system in debian jessie, but not in debian wheezy (which the current raspbian is based on).

So, the 4.0 kernel won't provide systemd. But it shouldn't break it, if you are currently using it in your distribution.

Note: An official raspbian image using debian jessie (and hence systemd) is currently being worked on. There are also a few unofficial sdcard images that include systemd.
Thank you.

Not using it at the moment but want to as soon as it is available on raspbian.

feverish

Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:58 am

dom wrote:The default firmware branch has been updated to use the 4.0 kernel.
The source tree has been available for a few months and is being used by OpenELEC amongst others.

Update with:

Code: Select all

sudo rpi-update
Ideally nothing much will change. The newer kernel tree does support more devices (e.g. USB devices like wifi and dvb).

Please report if there are any regressions compared to the 3.18 kernel. If testing is positive it will appear in "apt-get upgrade" and on new raspbian images in the near future.

The default source tree on https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux is now rpi-4.0.y. This tree is now considered the stable kernel source tree and will merge in minor bumps to the kernel version, rather than rebase.
There is now a 4.1 kernel tree where more experimental kernel commits may go (in general moving closer to upstream).
I think that Raspi's really great
And many bugs then get waylaid
By sudo apt-get, then upgrade.

For Raspi geeks push limits well
When sudo rpi-upgrade starts to gell
Though here the coded jargon hurts
And keeping modern is but in spurts.

When different bits of process fail
And protesting arguments prevail,
Users who only want the function
Out of the box without compunction,
Bemused and abandoned by technical quirks
Aghast at this thing that no longer works.

So devil-curses emanate
From anxious students who berate
Those powers-that-be that urge the rest
To modernise and do their best
To keep the Raspi a step ahead
Of commercial rivals who wish them dead.

The moral of this story's here:-
Do no upgrade, till its reason is clear.
Last edited by feverish on Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
If discrimination is not challenged then we are effectively in collusion with the perpetrators of such behaviour:-Oxford dictionaries

DougieLawson

Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:36 pm

I updated to 4.0.7+ & 4.0.7-v7+ yesterday.

Today I've reverted all of the machines running that kernel & firmware to a51e2e072f2c349b40887dbdb8029f9a78c01987

Something in 4.0.7 broke NFS file systems, I've got a ZyXel NAS which has three NFS shares, those three are all mounted on all of my Raspberry Pis. Today I was getting NFS errors. I've not looked deeply but it's either a problem with WiFi or networking or NFS kernel drivers.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

dom

Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:19 pm

DougieLawson wrote:I updated to 4.0.7+ & 4.0.7-v7+ yesterday.

Today I've reverted all of the machines running that kernel & firmware to a51e2e072f2c349b40887dbdb8029f9a78c01987

Something in 4.0.7 broke NFS file systems, I've got a ZyXel NAS which has three NFS shares, those three are all mounted on all of my Raspberry Pis. Today I was getting NFS errors. I've not looked deeply but it's either a problem with WiFi or networking or NFS kernel drivers.
I'm currently on 4.0.7 with an nfs boot and no issues. I'm using ethernet rather than wireless.
It would be useful if you can confirm if baabb60 (the one before the 4.0.7) has the problem or not.
It would be useful if you can test with ethernet rather than wifi.
When you had problems were there any messages in dmesg log?

DougieLawson

Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:43 pm

Hi Dom,

Sorry that my bug report is so awful (I should know better). Are there any special diagnostics that you need?

At the moment I've reverted my machines
B+ wired (wheezy): Apollo 4.0.6+ #798
2B wifi (jessie): Eagle 4.0.6-v7+ #798
B wifi (jessie): Pi 4.0.6+ #798
B wired (wheezy): Saturn 4.0.6+ #798
B wired (wheezy): Odyssey 4.0.6+ #798
A+ wifi (wheezy): Aplus 4.0.6+ #798
My other wired B is running a special application on 3.18.7+ #755 and hasn't been rebooted for 24 days. And the last one is a B with a Wolfson Audio card that's running a custom built kernel and hasn't been booted for 22 days.

I'll give baabb60160a6e50addd5e409c0b46f3469aa9670 a go on Saturn, Eagle and Aplus tomorrow. I went back to 4.0.6 because I knew that was stable. I'd also had a problem with the power supply for Aplus [resolved]. Eagle has a WiFi dongle that needs one of Mr Engman's drivers. Saturn is wired.

Pi runs an I2C BMP180 sensor and uploads the results to the internet every six minutes so it's the one I spotted going bad first. Apollo is my home server (runs my public websites and my MariaDB (MySQL clone) server) so other folks notice if that one doesn't work.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Tim Barker

Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:45 pm

Updated to 4.0.7-v7+ #801 this morning setting up a new RPi 2B and have lost internet connectivity on reboot. Can see Gateway and can ssh into the RPi through the local network but cannot ping or see anything outside. I could see outside prior to update (otherwise couldn't have downloaded the update). Also lost Wireless access into the same machine as a result of the update, was running perfectly before. I need to look at what I was running prior to update and check vs the other machines I have running. Certainly won't update any of the others, though.

PhilE

Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:31 pm

Can you post/link to the dmesg output for the boot and some unsuccessful network traffic, e.g. "ping www.raspberrypi.org"?

I'm running 4.0.7-v7+ with no problems so far, but you are the second problem report so it isn't just Dougie's usual crazed ramblings. ;)

Tim Barker

Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:54 pm

hopefully you will find the text on Dropbox via https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a3y1a1f6dfl7 ... JOd1a?dl=0

clearly something to do with the networking though the network files are the same ones I was using with the prior kernel (I have checked this). The Wireless dongle seems to be connecting to the Gateway then "deauthenticating" itself if I read the output correctly, line [14.080731].

Now I have remembered how to use Dropbox happy to send any other output required this way.

while I'm waiting to get this Pi working again I'll set up another on the old setup.

PhilE

Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:08 pm

Thanks, I can read that. Nothing obviously screams "Broken".

Googling the error message turned up a few hits, including a Pi suffering from a lack of power.

Could you possibly try a wired connection? It will help to pinpoint the problem, i.e. help us to find the right haystack.

DougieLawson

Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:10 pm

PhilE wrote: Could you possibly try a wired connection? It will help to pinpoint the problem, i.e. help us to find the right haystack.
It might be the same haystack that I was staring at yesterday.

Tim Barker

Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:14 pm

The wired connection works, I can ssh into it with PuTTY running on a Windows 7 machine. However, this terminal still doesn't give access to 'The World' and I don't have access via the machine itself. So a local connection works but not outside - nameserver not running? - might also try pinging the local network (a couple of other Pis running older systems). Have been caught by power supply before, hopefully the 2B doesn't use more than 5V2A as there don't seem to be any supplies available greater than 2A.

Tim Barker

Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:16 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
PhilE wrote: Could you possibly try a wired connection? It will help to pinpoint the problem, i.e. help us to find the right haystack.
It might be the same haystack that I was staring at yesterday.
may well be ;)

Played around a bit more since we last spoke on Wireless dongles and sensors etc many months back but still very green with the overall workings of the pi. Tim.

Tim Barker

Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:28 pm

oh, checked the firewall and it isn't that, and no apparent restrictions coming from the Gateway.

Some slight différences between the /etc/network/interfaces file on 2 systems (1 works, the other doesn't) but have changed these so they are essentially the same (bar static and dhcp), still doesn't work in fact I've lost the ssh access and there is no network access at all from the upgraded pi. I must have something wrong but I can't see it unless the interfaces file or wpa_supplicant file commands have changed.

wpa_supplicant.conf identical.

the odd dmesg line I mentioned above IS different so something new seems to be going on in the boot process(?) although there are obviously different things going on given the different boxes (2B and A+). I might swap the two micro-SD cards and see what happens

uname for the pi that works is:-

[email protected] ~ $ uname -a
Linux RPiG 3.18.11+ #781 PREEMPT Tue Apr 21 18:02:18 BST 2015 armv6l GNU/Linux

DougieLawson

Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:58 pm

Five (A+, 4 Bs & my 2B) out of six of my RPis are now running 4.0.6 #799 (baabb60) and appear to be quite stable. I won't be updating the other one (B called Pi) until Sunday night at the earliest.

rbn2

Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:47 pm

I registered specially for saying: thank you!

Thanks for all the hard work on the kernel and thanks for bumping it up to 4.0+

It works well, both on my Raspberry Pi 2 B and my Raspberry Pi 2 B. I have not had any problems.

Tim Barker

Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:52 am

A question that I should know the answer to. If I use sudo rpi-update I get the most up-to-date kernel build (?). How do I get a slightly less up-to-date version, ie the version that Dougie is using? The build in the Raspbian download is still 3.18.11 #781 but I would like to try the 4.0 kernel to see whether I can get an earlier build to work here then try to see what isn't working.

PhilE

Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:03 am

You can find a list of the firmware releases and their SHA hashes (long alphanumeric strings) here: https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware/commits/master

Dougie said he is running "4.0.6 #799 (baabb60)" (the number in parentheses is the short version of the SHA), which you will see is the second in the list.

To "update" to a specific revision, give the SHA hash as a parameter to the rpi-update command:

sudo rpi-update baabb60
If it doesn't work with the abbreviated hash - I've not tried it - use the full version:

sudo rpi-update baabb60160a6e50addd5e409c0b46f3469aa9670

Tim Barker

Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:09 am

Many thanks for the prompt answer. ;) I'll set up the A+ on 3.18.11 because I need to get it working soon and then play around with the 2B on a more up-to-date version until I find what works or the solution. Will post if I find one.

StuartF

Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:27 pm

I have upgraded to 4.0.7-v7+ #802 on a 2B and get 'error opening '/dev/input/event*' during boot.
The power to the USB sockets is 'missing' and I can't type anything.

Any clues as to resolving this or did I bork it?

dom

Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:26 pm

StuartF wrote:I have upgraded to 4.0.7-v7+ #802 on a 2B and get 'error opening '/dev/input/event*' during boot.
The power to the USB sockets is 'missing' and I can't type anything.

Any clues as to resolving this or did I bork it?
Did rpi-update complete without errors? Could the sdcard have been full? Can you ssh in?

StuartF

Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:05 pm

dom wrote:Did rpi-update complete without errors?
Yes.
dom wrote:Could the sdcard have been full?
reporting 3.8gig free..
dom wrote:Can you ssh in?
no, due to turning it off in config.

I have put the sd card into another pi and found that '/dev' now only contains 3
folders. These are fd, pts and shm. I don't see any mmcblk0p* devices.

I am using a dt-blob.bin, and this is a noobs install ( was 3.18.something ).

Return to “Advanced users”