PhoenixRage

How to change username

Thu May 14, 2015 4:11 am

I need help I've tried usermod commands but I get pi is currently in process 2443 I don't want to create a new user just change user but any ideas welcome :D

MarkHaysHarris777

Re: How to change username

Thu May 14, 2015 5:32 am

PhoenixRage wrote:I need help I've tried usermod commands but I get pi is currently in process 2443 I don't want to create a new user just change user but any ideas welcome :D
You really do not want to change the user; leave the user 'PI' alone, just change her password with the following command in LxTerminal:

passwd

You probably also DO NOT want to add a new user. Unless you know what you're doing in gnu/linux (specifically on the PI) creating a new user is a little tricky because some of the apps on the PI (video for instance) are geared towards the PI userid. You can create a new userid and folks do that all the time... but you need to know what you are doing; google it and read-up! have fun
marcus
:ugeek:

JimmyN

Thu May 14, 2015 10:03 am

PhoenixRage wrote:I need help I've tried usermod commands but I get pi is currently in process 2443 I don't want to create a new user just change user but any ideas welcome :D
What is it you want to change for user 'pi'? Add to a group, change password, home directory, etc?

RogerW

Thu May 14, 2015 1:53 pm

I always create a new user id (I use the same id/passwrd) on all my machines. Having created the new id make it a sudoer and then join it to all the groups that pi is a member of.

To see what groups pi belongs to - groups pi
To join a user to a group - adduser id group

Roger Woollett

Return to “Advanced users”