Mr_IceSlice

Ethernet VPNs

Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:06 pm

Hello! I have a predicament.

The problem:
I have no Ethernet in my house. Only a Wifi hotspot from my Mom's LTE Android phone. Whenever I try anything high-bandwidth, even if its LAN, my moms phone gets bogged down with the load, and my Pi (B model) gets the heck lagged out of it because of the power and processing power needed to transmit large chunks of data; ie: LAN NAS server with samba, TightVNC remote desktop, Minecraft server hosting (256MB, 8 player max.)

The ideal solution:
Move to a house that doesn't have dial-up as the only internet option. Which is what we're planning to do this year. Then normal broadband with a router! Woo! 24/7 internet/LAN! ...But that's too far in the future. :/

The real solution:
Buy a freaking router.

The solution I'm looking for:
Plug an Ethernet cable into my Pi, and plug the other end into my laptop so that my laptop serves as my Pi's Wifi antenna, while allowing me to ssh and vnc (and all other LAN/NET functions) to my Pi as if it were LAN. I am very inexperienced with VPNs, but I do know that what I am wanting is possible.

So, yeah...

Thanks for all your help!!!

FYI: I have a 2A/5v power supply and an external WD My Passport Ultra 2TB HD, and Panda Wireless 802.11 b/g/n Wifi USB dongle. Or sometimes instead of the HD, and Microsoft 2.4GHz dual Keyboard/Mouse dongle. Also, dial-up is available at my house, but we don't use it, instead we use Verizon LTE, so net speed/bandwidth isn't an issue.

bobstro

Re: Ethernet VPNs

Mon May 04, 2015 7:19 pm

It sounds like using your mom's hotspot for local network access is what's killing you. You can certainly set up a local-only wifi and/or wired network to handle your internal computer-computer needs. A number of inexpensive routers will also handle wifi-wifi, so you could, for example, use local wifi for your computers and your mom's hotspot for Internet access. This isn't really a RPi question, though you could do with with a RPi if you don't mind limited speeds. I'm not sure what you're referring to with VPNs in this case.

Mr_IceSlice

Mon May 04, 2015 7:50 pm

bobstro wrote:It sounds like using your mom's hotspot for local network access is what's killing you. You can certainly set up a local-only wifi and/or wired network to handle your internal computer-computer needs. A number of inexpensive routers will also handle wifi-wifi, so you could, for example, use local wifi for your computers and your mom's hotspot for Internet access. This isn't really a RPi question, though you could do with with a RPi if you don't mind limited speeds. I'm not sure what you're referring to with VPNs in this case.
Thanks!!! Now I at least have some info to go off of. :D

toxibunny

Mon May 04, 2015 9:03 pm

yeah, just get a cheap second-hand wifi router from somewhere.. :)
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

Return to “Advanced users”