NubeBuster

Power Through GPIO

Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:22 pm

I've been doing research on google and I haven't found any good tutorial on which pins are used to power the raspberry pi through the GPIO pins.

I want to power the Raspberry Pi B+ through the GPIO pins because then I dont need any adapters e.g.
I have a buck converter and a power source of 5 v steady. The only thing I need to know is which pins the power supply should be connected to. Please only reply if you are 100% sure. I've already burned my old Pi2.

DougieLawson

Re: Power Through GPIO

Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:29 am

Pin#1 3V3
Pin#2 5V0
Pin#4 5V0
Pin#6 GND

WARNING: You lose ALL protection that you'd get from powering it through the microUSB. DO NOT run 5V0 on pin#1 or you will see the "white smoke of death" emerging from your dying RPi.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Power Through GPIO

Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:29 am

I've already burned my old Pi2.
thats exactly why powering through the GPIO is deprecated.

you bypass the fuse, when you do, which also disables the overvoltage protection, on top of that its very easy to put 5V into the 3V3 rail, or to reverse polarity, (or both) which will instantly destroy your PI. also a single GPIO pin is only rated 1A (by nature of pinheads) so you need to use at least two 5V pins, and two GND pins.

power the PI though the microUSB, as it is designed, you can always split the wires of the cable, you could then reverse the polarity, but at least it is fused, so perhaps your PI will live through it (no guarantees at all).

Return to “Advanced users”