motumeril

Using multiple cores on RPi2

Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:36 pm

Hello,

I was wondering how to use the multiple cores of my RPi2. I was integrating OpenCV and came across a step called make here, so, I could either construct the libraries by just typing make or make -j4. The second option allowed me to use all the four cores and the process was much quicker. I came across this here http://www.pyimagesearch.com/2015/02/23 ... ent-283619 in the comments.

I wanted to know how to use all the four cores while installing say scipy or matplotlib. I am installing them via pip so I tried

Code: Select all

sudo pip install matplotlib -j4
. I get an error saying

Code: Select all

install: error: no such option: -j

I understand that all processes cannot utilize all the cores simultaneously, but I haven't really understood the concept well. How do I differentiate which processes can use the four cores and if something can how do I enable it to do so?

Thanks in advance!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Using multiple cores on RPi2

Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:13 pm

-j [x] is just for make, and tells it how many simultaneous jobs it can do. I find 1.5x number of cores works quite well on a desktop, may not be the same on a Pi2.

Things like installing will only probably use one core - it's not a particularly easy to multithread process.

By default the Pi2 will be using more than one core anyway - the OS will be running lots of processes (ps ax to see them all!) , and they will be spread out over the cores, leaving even single threaded app with a core all to itself. Multithreaded apps, there are quite a few, will automatically know when they can use multi cores.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

motumeril

Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:53 pm

Hi Jamesh,
Thanks for the reply!
Okay, understood, shall try and this post updated if I find anything useful.

MikB

Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:36 pm

Although I'm sure Linux is adept at spreading the load around the cores, especially when busy -- is there an easy way to shut down 1 or more of the cores -- to enter a "low power" mode as it were? Effectively allowing the PI2 to run single core, but with the option to bring the others back up when needed? Just wondering for portable/battery applications ...

cpc464

Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:09 pm

On the Pi 2, use this command to show which CPU core each process is running on:

ps -elfP

Check the PSR column. For multi-threaded apps like Epiphany, use this command to see which core each thread is on:

ps -eLfP | grep epip
Unix engineer since 1989

crumble

Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:16 pm

Hi,

compiling openCV on all cores will show you the limits of your SD-card. The timings of your link shows that the author has a real good SD-card. Mine lags when the load gets too high. After a few minutes the lage became so bad, that it is faster to compile such a huge project with only one core.

You will see the real performance of your Pi2, if you mount /tmp, /var/log and /var/run into a tempfs and iif you nstall gcc 4.9 which can use better optimizations for the newer CPU.

It will be nice, if such basic tweaks can be integrated into raspi-config. This can save a lot of time for Linux newbies. There are many howtos in the web, but you have to no the right words.

jamesh

Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:22 am

crumble wrote:Hi,

compiling openCV on all cores will show you the limits of your SD-card. The timings of your link shows that the author has a real good SD-card. Mine lags when the load gets too high. After a few minutes the lage became so bad, that it is faster to compile such a huge project with only one core.

You will see the real performance of your Pi2, if you mount /tmp, /var/log and /var/run into a tempfs and iif you nstall gcc 4.9 which can use better optimizations for the newer CPU.

It will be nice, if such basic tweaks can be integrated into raspi-config. This can save a lot of time for Linux newbies. There are many howtos in the web, but you have to no the right words.
I suspect that is more to do with memory than SD card speed. Multiple builds at the same times uses a LOT of memory. If you exceed the 1GB, then it will start to swap, and that is very slow. Will be especially noticeable on C++ builds that use templates which require large amounts of memory.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

ziddey

Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:48 am

This might help: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2622 ... -multicore

--install-option="--jobs=4"

Or 6 if 1.5x cores is optimal

ziddey

Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:10 am

My last post is still in moderation, but I just did a test installing pandas. Using --jobs=6 didn't seem to have an effect. However, at one point, it failed because six didn't recognize the flag. I tried -j6, and it seemed to work. However, I segfaulted. Not sure if it's because my overclock is unstable or I ran out of memory (also segfaulted on a 512mb rpi1 before I upped the swap). Just got the rpi3 today and have been running it at 1400 +6 from the get-go.

Edit: seems to be a bust as well. Sorry for getting your hopes up

Return to “Advanced users”