dliloch

floodstop device - help

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:49 pm

Hello,
I just purchased a floodstop water leak detector system. It has three outputs.. one of them I am simply going to plug in the detector plate and place it on the floor .. but the other one I wanted to control by my raspberry pi. If I detected that I was using more than 50 gallons in a 24 hour period then I want the raspberry pi to close the circuit..I know nothing about electricity and I don't want to blow my raspberry pi .. I've done some of the LED GPIO projects and I can turn off and on leds but it seems I need to trigger some sort of switch here .. I did talk to the people at floodstop but they hadn't heard of the raspberry pi.. of course now they have! At this point I am not addressing the issue of detecting my water use.. I just want to be able to close the valve ..

thanks!

techpaul

Re: floodstop device - help

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:54 pm

Once you know the spec of the signals (and how the unit uses/responds to them) more people may be able to help.

I should imagine searching for floodstop spec or connector or signals will reveal a lot.

The website for the company making them may have a user manaul with spec available.
Just another techie on the net - For GPIO boards see http:///www.facebook.com/pcservicesreading
or http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/pi/

aTao

Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:20 pm

If you mean this http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/rewillia ... lation.pdf device.
Then the picture shows 1 * 4wire connector for a sensor and 2 * 2 pin output connectors. The description of these outputs is "normally open" and "normally closed", this (always) refers to clean contacts, that is the output is the contact side of a relay with nothing else connected.
You can treat these just as you would switches, so to interface to the RPi you would send 3V3 via a 10k resistor to the floodstop output and a GPIO input, the other pin of the floodstop output is connected to 0V. If you use the normally closed output then a logic 0 at the GPIO in indicates action, or if you use the normally open output then a logic 1 indicates action.
>)))'><'(((<

drgeoff

Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:22 pm

[quote="dliloch"I know nothing about electricity and I don't want to blow my raspberry pi .[/quote]
Frankly, I'd be more worried about you blowing yourself.

aTao

Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:26 pm

The system does not provide a way for the RPI to control the valve.
>)))'><'(((<

aTao

Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:28 pm

drgeoff wrote:
dliloch wrote:I know nothing about electricity and I don't want to blow my raspberry pi .
Frankly, I'd be more worried about you blowing yourself.
It runs from 4 C cells, you really have to work hard to blow yourself up with that!.
>)))'><'(((<

dliloch

Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:22 pm

aTao wrote:The system does not provide a way for the RPI to control the valve.
this is exactly what I have .. the rpi can close it but not open it .. but what you said previously
about the 10k resistor and the gpio pins is still good correct?
thanks.. I just need to shut off since I want to use this as sort of a water circuit breaker ..
hopefully I can get information off the water meter for the usage portion ..

dliloch

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:48 pm

ok.. so this is how I solved it..
SainSmart 2-Channel 5V Relay Module for Arduino DSP AVR PIC ARM from amazon
cost me $7 and I can use the 5v gpio to power it and the 3.3 gpio to switch it...
not knowing electrical circuits this seems the safest and cheapest way ..

dliloch

Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:20 am

got the relay board but after reading all the posts on this subject I thought it would be prudent
to use a npn transistor and a 10k resistor on the base going to my gpio 17 pin. with that done I
am able to switch the relay and therefore trigger my floodstop to close. I could also wire the relay to the close / open switch .. what I need next is a way of getting daily usage off my water meter so that
I can close it if I am using too much .. i live in cleveland approx. 5 miles from l. erie .. but due to the crumbling infrastructure here water is getting as expensive as if I lived in arizona!
again thanks for comments .. I learned a lot and did not destroy my pi! :-)
I was going to put a picture of the board but limit is 64k so I guess I have to put a link up ..

Return to “Advanced users”