Flouro

Two HDMI screens as one elongated screen (help)

Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:41 am

Hi everyone,
I know very little of the Raspberry Pi's video output scheme, so forgive me if this is ignorant, but I have two HDMI monitors that I want to output a single fullscreened program to, in order to authentically physically emulate a Nintendo DS. The program window is naturally very wide for its height as it's effectively two low-resolution emulated displays next to each other. I'd like to have this fullscreened, so there aren't any taskbars or anything showing and I can play nintendogs in peace, across two monitors equivalent to the size of each emulated window - the program already fullscreens fine on one monitor with a Pi 3, albeit with black bars. Is this the default? Is this impossible? I want to know before I spend $150 on a Pi 4 and two 3 inch HDMI screens.
Thank you so much for your help
-Sam
Shibe is beauty,
Shibe is grace,
Shibe has the cutest little face.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Re: Two HDMI screens as one elongated screen (help)

Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:06 am

Flouro wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:41 am
Hi everyone,
I know very little of the Raspberry Pi's video output scheme, so forgive me if this is ignorant, but I have two HDMI monitors that I want to output a single fullscreened program to, in order to authentically physically emulate a Nintendo DS. The program window is naturally very wide for its height as it's effectively two low-resolution emulated displays next to each other. I'd like to have this fullscreened, so there aren't any taskbars or anything showing and I can play nintendogs in peace, across two monitors equivalent to the size of each emulated window - the program already fullscreens fine on one monitor with a Pi 3, albeit with black bars. Is this the default? Is this impossible? I want to know before I spend $150 on a Pi 4 and two 3 inch HDMI screens.
Thank you so much for your help
-Sam
hi Sam,
Which '3 in HDMI' screens' are we talking about and what is the OS you want to use here?
Without such info it will be hard to answer your questions.

Flouro

Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:28 am

I'm just using Raspbian (with desktop) and some 480x320 Waveshare HDMI displays, they should function as normal monitors.
https://www.waveshare.com/product/displ ... mi-lcd.htm
Come to think of it, Retropie might work really well, as it doesn't really have a window system.
Thank you!
-Sam
Shibe is beauty,
Shibe is grace,
Shibe has the cutest little face.

PiGraham

Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:55 am

You might want to look at displays that have that aspect ratio in one screen. May be expensive. May not work with Pi.
I think I have seen such displays at low cost with HDMI driver boards in the past but I don't have a link.
May be worth a search.
ultrawide stretched display

https://display-innovations.com/display ... splays-all

aBUGSworstnightmare

Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:42 am

Why do you want two screens? Bigger resolution, left/right image (for 3D like) or what is your target?

Maybe a bigger one in a bar-shape format is less pain in the back.

Return to “Advanced users”