AleXSR700

Re: Running Raspbian from USB Devices : Made Easy

Tue May 18, 2021 1:38 pm

Hello everyone,
so I was made aware of your script and think it might solve some of my issues :)

I cannot directly boot from my SSD because it has a block size of 4096 instead of 512. Will this script still work despite this? I think it should, but I just want to make sure :)

When using the script, will the two partitions (boot and actual system) be separated or will both SDCard and SSD have the same boot & system partitions but SD only uses boot and SSD only uses system?
Depending on the answer, how do updates work? If I update or upgrade the system, will only one of the two be updated?

What about backups? I try to create a backup of my SDCard once a month because I am running my Home Assistant server on my RPi and I want to make sure that I have all data in case of a crash. Would I need to keep to backup copies then? One of the SDCard and one of the SSD?

Thank you for your help :)
Alex

RonR

Tue May 18, 2021 5:52 pm

@AleXSR700,

Hybrid booting has been one of the most popular ways of booting USB devices for many years on all Raspberry Pi's (including the Raspberry Pi 4B prior to its current EEPROM USB support being developed). This script has been successfully used on thousands of Raspberry Pi's. The only way to know if Hybrid booting will work on your USB SSD with 4K sectors is to try it. Make a copy of your SD Card in case there are any surprises.

euu

Wed May 19, 2021 4:16 am

SSDs with block size of 4096 are rare. Samsung, ADATA, Hynix, WD, Seagate all have 512.
Sabrent is one I know of and they offer a utility to set the block size 512 or 4096.
I set mine to 512 and run Raspberry Pi OS and Manjaro from it just fine.
If your RPi has the latest EEPROM you can burn your preferred image directly to the SSD, no SD card needed.

AleXSR700

Wed May 19, 2021 6:47 am

I just found out that in fact not the SSD has a block size of 4096 but rather the case reported 4096. I now switched the case.

Could you maybe tell me about backing up? Would I then need to create a backup of the SDcard and the SSD everytime I want to run the backup? Or is the boot partition a one-time backup?
What about updates? Are both updated or are all updates only ever on the SSD?

AleXSR700

Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:47 am

Hello everyone,
quick question: I am creating a backup using Image File Utilities ( viewtopic.php?f=29&t=247568 ) and was wondering if this will work properly also for a USB setup and how to restore it. Would I then restore the backup once to the SDCard and once to the SSD?
Each storage is only responsible for one of the two partitions after all.

RonR

Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:38 pm

AleXSR700 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:47 am
I am creating a backup using Image File Utilities ( viewtopic.php?f=29&t=247568 ) and was wondering if this will work properly also for a USB setup and how to restore it. Would I then restore the backup once to the SDCard and once to the SSD?
Each storage is only responsible for one of the two partitions after all.

If you have a Hybrid boot configuration (where the SD card is used to boot the USB device), you should maintain two backups.

1. Create a backup of the USB device when the USB device is booted and running.

2. Create a backup of the SD card when the SD card is booted and running.

If necessary, restore the backups to their associated devices.

abishur

Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:54 am

Can I use usb boot to copy the contents of a usb drive back to an SD card?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

RonR

Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:08 am

abishur wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:54 am
Can I use usb boot to copy the contents of a usb drive back to an SD card?

Yes.

Place the SD card in a USB adapter and select it as the destination when you run usb-boot (leave the SD card slot empty). Upon completion, the Raspberry Pi should boot from the SD card inserted in the SD card slot (see Raspberry Pi EEPROM Manager if you need to change the boot order).

Return to “Advanced users”