buteman

[SOLVED]Getting TV to detect raspberry pi

Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:36 am

I have a Roku box connected to my smart TV. Whether I am watching TV directly or viewing something via my freesat box I only have to press a button on the roku and the TV switches to it. Can I make it switch to the Rpi in a similar way?
Last edited by buteman on Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are few rewards greater than accomplishing a difficult task. Just because something doesn't cost money doesn't mean there is no cost. Every success makes the next one easier. Of course that takes determination and patience.

matthewr

Re: Getting TV to detect raspberry pi

Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:44 am

Your Roku is sending "HDMI CEC" commands to the TV to switch it on, so that's the term to Google for.

buteman

Re: Getting TV to detect raspberry pi

Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:39 am

Thanks, now I know what to search for I have found this:
https://pimylifeup.com/raspberrypi-hdmi-cec/
Which gives me the control I need :D
There are few rewards greater than accomplishing a difficult task. Just because something doesn't cost money doesn't mean there is no cost. Every success makes the next one easier. Of course that takes determination and patience.

kheylen25

Re: [SOLVED]Getting TV to detect raspberry pi

Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:48 pm

Make sure your TV allows switching on several HDMI channels. My older LG only allows the first HDMI-input to be selected automatically when I switch on the connected device. I use this channel for my Chromecast.

buteman

Re: [SOLVED]Getting TV to detect raspberry pi

Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:54 am

Thanks,
Yes it does, I have 4 hdmi inputs with a freesat, freeview and roku connected to 3 of them. It works on all of them.

Return to “Advanced users”