ime011

Downloading .IMGC image

Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:50 pm

I ran my PI 3 B+ with only the SD-Card. I installed NOOB to the SD card then inserted it into my PI and downloaded Raspbian. Now my device boots fine.

To get started on my project i need to download an .imgc file to the PI. I have the file on my computer but how do i download it to the PI. The IMGC file i have contains all the code; i just need to open it with the PI. Can you assist in helping me do so? I heard i should use HDD Raw Copy Tool.

rpdom

Re: Downloading .IMGC image

Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:28 am

What is in the .imgc (compressed disk image) file? Are you sure it is compatible with the Pi? The HDD Raw Copy Tool you mention appears to be for Windows only, so no good on the Pi.

dustnbone

Re: Downloading .IMGC image

Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:55 am

If you just need to move a file over, a USB stick will do the job. Raspbian can read all of the common Windows filesystems.

That's the simplest method to get the file to your Pi, but if you're going to be moving files back and forth frequently you'll probably want to look into using some kind of network based file sharing.

Once the file is there, what you can or cannot do with it is another story. An .imgc file looks to be a raw disk image format, probably a hard drive. This is not the most convenient way to store your files, especially if you need to work on them. You should really narrow it down to the files you need as opposed to the entire drive, and put those into folders that you can transfer over to the home folder on your Pi.

It's probably possible to make the Pi work with that image file, but it's going to take you far more time and effort. Your actual files are buried inside several unnecessary layers of stuff.

Return to “Advanced users”