Srandista

How to find our RPi firmware version?

Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:29 pm

I'm trying to find out, where I can determine my RPi firmware version. I did sudo rpi-update recently and I know, that my current firmware version is c8da643e606a55971d22482ce829a6c109a6a7ad, because I save its number after firmware update. But for future, I want to be able to determine my firmware version somehow, and so far, I wasn't able to find any way by looking on the internet. There are many posts about finding kernel version, or GPU firmware version, but so far I haven't had a luck with finding way to show RPI firmware version.

Does anybody here know, how to determine that?

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: How to find our RPi firmware version?

Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:31 pm

What do you mean by Rpi firmware version vs GPU firmware version?

Firmware version (hash is derived from the internal source tree) - "vcgencmd version"

rpi-update git hash - "sudo cat /root/.rpi-firmware/git_hash"
Do note that this will NOT be updated if you use "apt get upgrade" to upgrade kernel and firmware.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
Please don't send PMs asking for support - use the forum.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Srandista

Re: How to find our RPi firmware version?

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:39 pm

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately "sudo cat /root/.rpi-firmware/git_hash" didn't work for me, but it pointed me to exact command, which I wanted.

Code: Select all

cat /boot/.firmware_revision
This command gives me response "c8da643e606a55971d22482ce829a6c109a6a7ad", which is exact firmware version I was looking for.

Return to “Advanced users”