linkmaster6

RetroPi Sega Genesis Gen2 Project- Mod items

Wed May 16, 2018 11:56 am

Hi everybody!

Working on a little project for my wife, she loves the older 16/32 bit era of gaming and has been wanting to get back into playing them again. So after seeing a friend of mine build a Retropi machine out of an old SNES I decided I would gut my old dead Sega Genesis Gen 2 and make her one.

I've got the Sega gutted and have a game plan for how I want to lay things out but I'm getting stumped on finding the things I need.

This is my basic layout so far:
I plan on putting the Raspberry Pi board in this spot with this orientation so I can access the USB ports through the side slot on the body of the Genesis.

So far on my wish list of things I have a few items I'm going to get for sure:
2x Left angle USB Extension cables (https://www.ebay.ca/itm/253324659564?var=552483495363)
1x HDMI Panel mount 50cm extension (https://www.ebay.ca/itm/173128933845)

I work in a PC repair shop so I've been rooting through our piles of things destined for the great recycler trying to find a worthwhile way of mounting the Pi inside the Sega case so that the USBs line up with the side opening but due to the screw holes for the Pi board being so small I've been pretty much reduced to having only laptop screws fit. None of the brass motherboard spacers I've had in fit those screws so I came up with this idea: A long laptop screw and a few laptop case anchors/nuts.

Its by no means perfect and I haven't drilled any holes for it yet, so if you know of a better spacer solution and where to to get it, I am all ears!

The other item I am currently on the hunt for is a reliable way to give this a power button. I want to some how use the existing power button on the Sega case. I was able to unsolder the power switch from the Sega's system board as it is a nice long button with toggle action (not sure on the exact term, its the opposite from momentary).

Any help would be great!

linkmaster6

Re: RetroPi Sega Genesis Gen2 Project- Mod items

Fri May 25, 2018 7:47 pm

Wow no takers so far huh?
Ok lets try to get the ball rolling with this train of thought:

I would like to get an LED connected to the R-Pi3 for the power light you would typically see on the Sega Genesis (Red). As I said before I work at a PC repair place and have access to old cases and parts, if I were to pull a power LED from a case and hook it to the 3.3v lead and ground on the R-Pi3 would that work ok or would I need to get a resistor in play?

davidcoton

Fri May 25, 2018 9:54 pm

linkmaster6 wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 7:47 pm
if I were to pull a power LED from a case and hook it to the 3.3v lead and ground on the R-Pi3 would that work ok
That would damage either the LED, the Pi, or both.
or would I need to get a resistor in play?
Yes. You need to know the current limit for the LED, and its forward voltage drop. Then calculate the resistor to provide a suitable current below the limit. (The exact value determines the LED's brightness.)
"Thanks for saving my life." See https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1327656#p1327656
“Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation”

linkmaster6

Wed May 30, 2018 12:32 pm

Any idea what the amperage out put is on the 3.3v lead?

Return to “Advanced users”