StoopKid

Setting static IP from boot partition

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:15 pm

I really like using the auto copying wpa_supplicant.conf and ssh file in the boot partition to set up my Pi's headless. The only thing I am missing is setting my IP static st the same time. I could edit the interfaces file from a linux machine but it would be really great if I could do it the same way the wpa_supplicant file is done.

Is this possible?

Alternatively, is there a way to auto-run a script from the boot partition? If so, I can figure out the rest myself.

drgeoff

Re: Setting static IP from boot partition

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:34 pm

StoopKid wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:15 pm
I could edit the interfaces file from a linux machine
Editing the interfaces file has been the wrong thing to do since Raspbian Jessie. The first few lines of that file inform you about that.

StoopKid

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:57 pm

Ok. well then how do I auto-run a script or set dhcpcd.conf from the boot partition?

RonR

Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:59 am

StoopKid wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:57 pm
Ok. well then how do I auto-run a script or set dhcpcd.conf from the boot partition?
The attached RPi-Init will permit you to run a supplied script from the boot partition on the first boot.

Description:

RPi-Init is a Windows program that patches a Raspberry Pi image file to perform the following when booted the first time:

1. Optional: Enable SSH (without the need to create an 'ssh' file in the boot partition)

2. Optional: Permit Root Login Via SSH using a specified Password
(If 'Permit Root Login Via SSH' is not selected, initial login must be done through pi:raspberry)

3. Optional: Include Additional Script File (to be executed during the first boot)

No installation is required and no changes are made to your Windows system by RPi-Init.

In addition to patching a Raspberry Pi image file, RPi-Init creates a file named 'rpi_init' which must be copied to the
boot partition of the SD card prior to inserting the SD card in the Raspberry Pi. On the first boot, /boot/rpt_init is
executed prior to /etc/rc.local and then rpi_init is deleted.

Upon completion of the initial Raspberry Pi boot, the image on the SD card will be restored to its original virgin state.
Attachments
RPi-Init.zip
(31.1 KiB) Downloaded 30 times

Return to “Advanced users”