jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Analogue audio redux

Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:07 pm

Available in latest rpi-update firmware is a PWM audio driver that significantly increases the audio quality available from the 3.5mm TRRS jack.

To enable the advanced audio driver, add audio_pwm_mode=2 to /boot/config.txt and reboot.

The analogue signal-to-noise ratio now approaches CD quality with this driver[1]. It works by oversampling the audio stream by a high factor and then pushing the quantisation noise away from audible frequencies by a technique known as sigma-delta noise shaping[2].

This is a continuation of the last thread which I closed as it contains a lot of previous bughunting activity that's no longer relevant.

The driver has undergone a few modifications that allow for multiple concurrent users (i.e. ALSA and omxplayer running simultaneously) and improvements in the additional GPU load the driver causes.

Features/bugfixes:
- The driver now allows for up to 8 simultaneous writers
- GPU vector unit utilisation has been reduced significantly as a much more efficient three-stage resampling pipeline is now used[3]
- on-the-fly switching of audio source between HDMI and Analogue with the driver in use no longer corrupts the analogue output
- Finer-grained resource locking in the driver means fewer contention points when the VPU is busy

The intention is to move to using this driver as the default analogue output driver for all models of Pi that have the 3.5mm jack. There may be some "busy" use-cases that cause lag such as playback of HD interlaced content with VPU audio decode (e.g. MPEG2 1080i source with DTS or AC3 audio or simultaneous CSI camera encoding + HD content playback).

Once any known incompatibilities are mapped out then they will either be documented or a slightly nerfed driver configuration could be implemented that expends a a few dB of audio quality in exchange for GPU performance. As of the time of writing there's no obvious need for a nerfed version of the driver.

Please test and report back with any issues. There is currently a known bug where multiple opens/closes of the driver via ALSA can cause the next open to hang. A workaround is to restart the process in question, as it recovers after force-quitting the hung process. This has proven tricky to replicate, so please detail your configuration if you manage to make this bug appear.

Notes:
[1]: The achievable sound quality depends on the model of Pi used as well as the quality of upstream power supply and lack of ground loops in all connections. Original models of Pi (with 26-pin GPIO headers) will suffer from worse background noise performance as there is no dedicated output buffer for the analogue audio jack. Pi 1 A+/B+, Pi 2 and Pi 3 all implement a low-noise "clean" power supply for the analogue audio jack.

[2]: http://www.beis.de/Elektronik/DeltaSigm ... Delta.html

[3]: The signal processing chain implements three resampling stages and a noise shaping stage.
Stage 1 is source samplerate conversion (8kHz-48kHz -> 48828Hz) - this fractional conversion is required as the PWM source clock is not a power-of-two product of audio sample frequencies.
Stage 2 - Oversampling by factor x8 to 390625Hz using a length=512 FIR filter with a nice, sharp cut-off.
Stage 3 - A final x2 oversampling stage with a length=4 FIR filter, which is folded into the noise shaping for various beneficial reasons.
Stage 4 - 2nd-order quantisation noise shaping from 16-bit PCM at 781250Hz to 7-bit PWM samples.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

SurferTim

Re: Analogue audio redux

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:01 am

I'm an avid pianobar (RPi version of Pandora) listener. I tried your new update, and it may just be my imagination, but the highs appear to be much cleaner. I haven't started and stopped it enough to determine reliability, but I'll post if I have problems.

Edit: Running an RPi3 with Stretch 2017-09-07 with latest update/upgrade/rpi-update.

tvjon

Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:29 pm

"Please test and report back with any issues. "

Until now, it's been very good, thank you.
However, earlier this morning I downloaded:

http://www.youtube.com/v/JN4q8gkteYc&hl ... 2=0x999999

& have just tried to watch it via

omxplayer -o local

Several seconds into the video, the audio disappears, & omxplayer gives up, so ctrl c to quit.
No audio at all via any means after this.

Editing

/boot/config.txt

to remove the pwm line, allows the video to play. Poor quality as you'll see & hear.

Just for repeatability, I restored the line, & this time attempting to play the video killed the entire gpu. No audio or video.

Jessie running yesterday's rpi-update.

Naturally, just ask if you'd like more info', etc.

jdb

Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:47 pm

Following that link, I get a blank webpage?

If I run youtube-dl on just the root URL, it downloads a 360p video that appears to play OK.
Can you upload your copy to e.g. dropbox? There's no guarantee Youtube will serve me the same file as you got.
Rockets are loud.

tvjon

Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:06 pm

"Can you upload your copy to e.g. dropbox?"

Not at the moment I'm afraid.

"There's no guarantee Youtube will serve me the same file as you got."

Ok, I was unaware of that...

Anyway, just got it again, using:

$ cclive http://www.youtube.com/v/JN4q8gkteYc&hl

& same problem, USING OMXPLAYER.

omxplayer - Commandline multimedia player for the Raspberry Pi
Build date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 01:52:37 +0000
Version : 62fb580 [master]
Repository: https://github.com/popcornmix/omxplayer.git
$

I've played it in vlc 2.2.4.1 first & it survived. Omxplayer lost audio, as did this Pi3, several seconds in.

tvjon

Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:11 pm

Forgot to add that I suffixed its name with mp4:

Brightgreen displaylink.mp4

SurferTim

Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:13 pm

I just downloaded and played a 1280x720 mp4 version of Feast by Disney. Played fine with omxplayer. Sound and video all the way through. RPi3 with Stretch 2017-09-07.
https://youtu.be/xpC33X4VCDo

jdb

Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:58 pm

Ah, cclive downloads a VP8/vorbis encoded video whereas youtube-dl retrieves h264/aac encoded. With start_x=1 omxplayer plays it. It still doesn't break for me, though.

I'm using the latest omxplayer from Raspbian Stretch.

Code: Select all

Build date: Wed, 05 Jul 2017 16:40:39 +0100
        Version   : 5a25a57 [debian]
        Repository: git@github.com:XECDesign/omxplayer.git
Can you post the entire contents of config.txt and state which OS you are using?
Rockets are loud.

tvjon

Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:03 pm

As I mentioned in my intial email, it's (up to date)jessie.

I've now inserted a Stretch µSD card:

pi@s:~ $ uname -a
Linux s 4.9.56-v7+ #1044 SMP Fri Oct 13 15:23:13 BST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

Same omxplayer:

pi@s:~ $ omxplayer -v
Build date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 01:52:37 +0000
Version : 62fb580 [master]
Repository: https://github.com/popcornmix/omxplayer.git
pi@s:~ $

& the file:

pi@s:~ $ omxplayer --display 0 -o local "/home/pi/Videos/Brightgreen displaylink.mp4"
Video codec omx-vp8 width 480 height 360 profile -99 fps 30.000000
Audio codec vorbis channels 1 samplerate 44100 bitspersample 16
Subtitle count: 0, state: off, index: 1, delay: 0
V:PortSettingsChanged: 480x360@30.00 interlace:0 deinterlace:0 anaglyph:0 par:1.00 display:0 layer:0 alpha:255 aspectMode:0
V:PortSettingsChanged: 480x360@30.00 interlace:-1 deinterlace:0 anaglyph:0 par:1.00 display:0 layer:0 alpha:255 aspectMode:0
Stopped at: 00:00:22

There's a continuous buzz (sawtooth like) from the audio. I can post a clip of the audio if you like?

Here's a screenshot when the file freezes.
stretch-freeze.jpg
stretch-freeze.jpg (55.2 KiB) Viewed 1274 times
If I leave it for a couple of minutes, Pi freezes completely.

I may get a chance later to try another Rpi3, but using the 2 µSD's which exhibit the problem.

I still can't access dropbox from here, but I may have an email address still in Contacts. I suspect your file is the same though.

Here's the Stretch config.txt, not much different from Jessie.
config.txt.zip
(984 Bytes) Downloaded 11 times
Al the other videos, & music files I've played recently work fine...

tvjon

Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:58 pm

Clutching at straws I removed all the overclock lines, but of course, no difference.

Removed ALSA .asoundrc, same.

Next, as promised, use another RPi3. Still the same, although the audio didn't fail until 1:20 into the video.

As with the previous RPi3, once the audio dies, no more videos will play until reboot.

Removing the pwm line restores normal operation.

feelslikeautumn

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:51 pm

Is it possible to increase the volume or is that limited by hardware?

I'm clearly not an audiophile, but I can't really tell the difference between a dac and the analogue output of a pi 1. When I switch over the dac sounds better because it is louder, but if I increase the amp volume to compensate I don't think I can tell them apart.

jdb

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:57 pm

By default, omxplayer has 0dB gain. The default setting for ALSA is -20dB and can be adjusted through alsamixer - the setting will persist across a reboot.

Even at "0dB" line level, the Pi 3.5mm jack typically outputs voltage levels lower than the equivalent line level as the source impedance is not particularly good (~100 ohm) - any appreciable load resistance on the input to an amplifier will attenuate the Pi output much more than if the amp were connected to a line-level DAC.
Rockets are loud.

HawaiianPi

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:33 am

I still get some clicks and pops, but they are less frequent and less loud than before. No problems playing a bunch of different videos in resolutions up to full HD. I watched an entire HD movie tonight in omxplayer with the improved audio settings. I'm running Raspbian Stretch fully dist-upgrad(ed) and rpi-update(ed). Sound is definitely improved.
My password is the last 8 digits of Pi.

jdb

Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:33 am

Can you do a loopback recording of the "pops"?

Using a USB sound card with line-in capability (or a PC), can you use Audacity or similar to capture a few seconds of problem audio and post the .wav file to e.g. Dropbox or similar?

I'm interested to see what the glitches look like - if they're less than ~10uS wide then it's hardware FIFO underrun. If they're milliseconds wide then they're software buffer underrun.
Rockets are loud.

jdb

Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:48 am

tvjon wrote: Clutching at straws I removed all the overclock lines, but of course, no difference.

Removed ALSA .asoundrc, same.

Next, as promised, use another RPi3. Still the same, although the audio didn't fail until 1:20 into the video.

As with the previous RPi3, once the audio dies, no more videos will play until reboot.

Removing the pwm line restores normal operation.
Aha, it's the older version of omxplayer that causes the issue. I built from dom's repository and can replicate the hang.

As a workaround, you can try updating to latest omxplayer from Jessie and see if the problem goes away.
Rockets are loud.

tvjon

Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:45 pm

"As a workaround, you can try updating to latest omxplayer from Jessie..."

Actually, I cannot:
syn.jpg
syn.jpg (27.23 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
Bizarrely, in Stretch,

kweb

is returned as the search result for omxplayer! Why, I wonder?

Of course, I could build Popcornmix's omxplayer, but as the quality of your new audio is better than before, don't you think it would be more useful for me to keep the present combination just to see if other files trigger the problem, thus aiding your debugging effort?

jdb

Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:10 pm

Hmm. Seems like there's no backport available. I'll ask around and see if there's a way of fetching a single package from a different distribution release in a manner that's not likely to break things.

I'd prefer more testing on the newer version as shipped in Stretch as this will have the widest use for people not employing the advanced audio, so when we switch over we're not suddenly putting lots of users on versions that have had comparatively little testing.

That said, the hang with older omxplayer is a proper GPU rtos abort thus something pretty major has gone wrong. Chief suspects are usually memory corruption or stack over/underflow so this does need fixing.
Rockets are loud.

tvjon

Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:22 pm

It looks like it's not only omxplayer which highlights the video freeze & accompanying sawtooth buzz on audio.

As you can see from my previously supplied config.txt, vga666 is enabled. I have vlc 2.2.4.1 running experimentally to a vga display just showing a RTSP feed all day. I can't use omxplayer for this purpose because of its dreadful latency along with corrupted display, & audio which disappears 30 seconds after it starts, never to return. Fortunately, vlc works rather well, presumably because it's using Livemedia rather than just ffmpeg. All the ffmpeg based players, mplayer, mpv, avplay, etc., exhibit these problems.

This is on the Jessie µSD. I can't run vlc as I need on Stretch, as I haven't yet worked out how to persuade vlc to use Stretch's libav versions. When I do succeed, I'll transfer the ip camera to that, & see if it fails in a similar fashion.

Said display has frozen, starting the irritating buzz from the audio. I've unplugged the jack, but I'll leave it running in case you respond with any vcgencmd you might like me to try?

What you may find interesting is that the X running default hdmi monitor is working fine, as I type this message.

It seems this is another useful feature of RPi's DPI interface...

jdb

Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:55 pm

The HDMI monitor will still work as the framebuffer is just a memory-mapped location that's scanned out by HVS. The ARM can freely write to the memory without GPU interaction.

If the GPU has crashed then vcgencmd won't return anything useful.

Is the ACT LED flashing in a regular pattern? If you're seeing 8 short flashes then you are seeing the same symptom as I am with omxplayer.
Rockets are loud.

tvjon

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:05 pm

Interesting, because the HDMI monitor has now frozen.

No keyboard or mouse input. Ethernet ok.

SSH is still working though! It feels a bit like the Voyager craft :)

Both red & green leds are permanently on.

Return to “Advanced users”