gcsx

Raspberry Pi 2 B SD card problem on boot

Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:19 pm

Hello there,

I have a brand new RPi 2 B with PCB labeled v1.1.
I use it with Samsung EVO 8 GB (MB-MP08D) µSD card.

I have this problem only with my Pi 2 : I tried to put this SD in one of my B+, I never seen this.

Most of the time, everything is fine, but some times (around one time over 6), on boot, I get the error described on this post :
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 28&t=22359

I can see this line followed by a lot of kernel debug lines about the module being loaded when the problem happens :
mmc0: Controller never released inhibit bit(s)
If I wait, I can see the same behavior reproduce in a loop with different kernel errors.

When this happens, the only working solution I found is to reboot the Pi (using a keyboard or by taking power down).

I use the an up to date Raspbian image from the RPi official website.
I ran rpi-update yesterday.

My cmdline :
dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait
Am I the only one?

EDIT:
Just got it 5 times in a row...
I noticed that every times, I get either :
mmcblk0: unknown error -5 sending read/write command, card status 0x900
or :
mmcblk0: unknown error -110 transferring data, sector xxxxxx, nr 8, cmd response 0x900, card status 0x80000b00
or :
mmcblk0: unknown error -110 transferring data, sector xxxxxx, nr 8, cmd response 0x900, card status 0xb00
In the last two, the sector number vary.

gcsx

Re: Raspberry Pi 2 B SD card problem on boot

Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:36 pm

Additional information :
My Pi is powered with a dedicated 2A power supply : http://www.kubii.fr/chargeurs-alimentat ... 00538.html

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:58 pm

Does the red LED on the board ever extinguish when your Pi is booting?
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

gcsx

Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:10 am

No, the red LED stay lit until I unplug the power.

Additionnal info : Enabling the Pi 2 overclock profile in raspi-config doesn't solve the problem.

gcsx

Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:37 pm

Hello,

Some news :
I reimaged my µSD and the first boot was fine.
I re-done the initial config with raspi-config, including resizing the partition.
Then I rebooted, and the problem came back.

I took out the SD and plugged it on one of my B+ Pi with and USB reader.
I ran fsck, it found a lot of errors, and told me that all errors were fixed.
I ran fsck another time, it told me than the filesystem was clean.
I ran it with -f, it found a LOT (300+) of errors and fixed all of them.

Finally, I put back the SD in my Pi 2, and since then, everything is fine.

Is it possible that the partition resizing in raspi-config have messed up the partition?
I never had this problem on my B or B+ Pis...

Thomas Gie

Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:51 am

I have the same issue with a Samsung EVO 16GB card (orange and white).
blk_update_request: I/O error, dev mmcblk0,
mmcblk0: error -110 transferring data, sector 122880, nr 8, cmd response 0x900, card status 0xc00
The errors occurs every 2-3 reboots but not always. Gradually the card gets worse. I've written zeroes to the card, recreated partitions and images several times, but the error always comes back. An older Sandisk 4GB card does not show these errors, so my conclusion is that the Samsung card is not suitable.

gcsx

Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:27 pm

Hello,

I never had this problem again on my Pi 2, but one of my Pi B+ got it on first boot right after I re-imaged a 16GB EVO SD with the latest OSMC beta with Win32 Disk Imager.

I took the SD and my USB reader, I plugged it on my Pi 2 and ran fsck with -f.
It fixed some errors.
Then I put the SD back in my B+, no more problems.

I think the problem with these EVO cards is caused when the partition is resized (automatically on first boot for xbmc/OSMC, manually with rpi-config on raspbian).
Dunno why...

Running fsck -f after resizing solves the problem, but you need an USB SD reader and a working Linux computer (or VM) to do this.

gcsx

Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:30 pm

If you don't have an USB SD Reader, you can boot your Pi from an USB storage (flash disk, HDD, ...) and run

Code: Select all

fsck -f /dev/mmcblk0p2
from there.

rpdom

Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:38 pm

gcsx wrote:If you don't have an USB SD Reader, you can boot your Pi from an USB storage (flash disk, HDD, ...) and run

Code: Select all

fsck -f /dev/mmcblk0p2
from there.
The Pi can only boot from the SD card, not anything connected via USB.

(Although it can boot from SD and then run from a USB device or networked file system)

gcsx

Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:02 am

I know ^^
But the SD problem discussed here only affects the ext partition.
Therefore you can still use the SD to boot with an USB disk and repair the ext partition with fsck.

AusMatt

Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:00 am

I'm also having this problem with the Raspberry Pi 2 B and a Samsung 16 GB EVO Class 10 UHS-I (up to 48 MB/s) microSDHC card.
I first saw it after installing Raspbian and asking it to resize the filesystem.
I then re-imaged and tried again.
This time I manually resized the partition table (in Linux) and manually resized the filesystem in Raspbian (using resize2fs).
Everything looked good before and after a reboot so I installed some software, did apt-get update and apt-get upgrade and browsed the web for a while with Epiphany.
On the next reboot, however, I saw the dreaded mmcblk0 read errors again.

Maybe the Raspberry Pi 2 B is incompatible with the Samsung EVO UHS-I microSDHC cards?

I still need to get my new power supply though (and have the coloured 'under-voltage' square being shown).
However, my friend with the same model (Raspberry Pi 2 B) but a 16 GB Sandisk Ultra Class 10 is not having this problem using my power supply (an LG 1.2 A for my Nexus 5).

I'm going to take back my second (unopened) Samsung 16 GB EVO and get a Sandisk and try again.
I'll let you guys know what I find.

Regards,

Matt

AusMatt

Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:45 am

The replacement 16 GB Sandisk Ultra Class 10 UHS-I microSDHC card (also up to 48 MB/s) is working fine.

So is the Samsung EVO incompatibility a problem with Linux in general, the Raspberry Pi or just the Raspberry Pi 2 B?

Matt

gcsx

Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:03 am

I don't know if the problem is related to Linux or RPi, but it's not exclusive for Pi 2, since I had the problem with one of my B+.

Since I ran fsck on the SD, the problem is gone.
I installed some packages with apt-get and compiled some things and everything is fine so far.

I think these particular SDs have a problem with the way the Ext partition is resized.
It looks like they need a repair after resizing, then everything works like expected.

AusMatt

Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:21 am

I'm now trying the Samsung EVO 16 GB microSDHC card with Xbian and have not seen any problems yet but I haven't done much yet except grow the filesystem and install a few Kodi add-ons. I'll let you know how it goes.

Matt

ejurgensen

Mon May 18, 2015 7:17 pm

I have the same problem with a Transcend 32 GB card on an RPi 2 with a 2.1A power supply.

Strangely booting into Noobs and OpenElec work. If I install Raspbian directly (without Noobs) the very first boot also seems to work, but after going through raspi-config it will no longer boot.

tusmueles

Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:20 pm

I have same problem in RPi2 model b with samsung 16 evo.
How can i boot from usb in order to fsck sd card with a card reader? thanks.
Last edited by tusmueles on Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Joe Schmoe

Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:27 pm

gcsx wrote:I know ^^
Yeah, I also thought it was a bit cheeky for that poster to display once again his grasp of the obvious - when it was clear from your post that you knew what you were talking about.
But the SD problem discussed here only affects the ext partition.
Therefore you can still use the SD to boot with an USB disk and repair the ext partition with fsck.
In fact, once you are booted up and running from the USB drive, you can do whatever you want with the SD card. fsck whatever partitions you want, remove it, feed it to the dog, whatever.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

blixel

Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:16 am

I just got a Raspberry Pi 2 a week ago and have been struggling to keep it working ever since. I was about ready to pack it up and send it back but I found this forum with everyone talking about the Samsung 16GB EVO. This is the same microSD I ordered when I got the Pi - so it sounds like I'll be fine if I get a Sandisk instead.

I don't have a question at this time. I'm just posting this message to hopefully help other people find this information ... and to add to the list of reports.

usvi

Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:33 pm

Hello,
I recently bought Transcend 16GB microSDHC Class 10 memory card. I installed latest edition of RetroPie (retropie-v3.0rc1-rpi2.img) but I kept getting these mmcblk0 110 errors like 1/3 of the reboots:
http://i.imgur.com/oCPnByg.jpg

Then I issued sudo rpi-update which updated kernel and firmware file. After this I run automatical testing for 54 reboots. Not a single failure. So I think updating the kernel and firmware may help some with problems with the memory card.

ripop

Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:31 am

Thanks @usvi! The rpi-update seemed to fix my problem (so far, anyhow). Nice!

Return to “Troubleshooting”