SyperMen

Brand new RPi2 wont boot

Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:29 pm

Alright, so before anything else, I'd just like to make it clear that I've looked around and haven't found a SINGLE thread here or any google result that lead to an answer.

To the problem then, I just bought my RPi 2 today and I followed the NOOB tutorial. Did what it said.
When I put the Micro-SD card in the RPi, nothing happened. All I could see was the PWR and ACT light were both on.
No matter what I do, all I keep getting is those two lights. I've tried using different SD-cards, different HDMI cables, different power cables, different screens/TV's,nothing. Nothing at all. Just the green and red light shining, no flashes or nothing.

There are some error messages regarding the lights but no rwhere both lights are active which I find weird.
I thought that the unit was DOA, which is rare, so I went and got it replaced. Came home with the new device, same thing.

I've ran out of ideas as to what it can be. I'm not that experienced with it either so I have no choice than to come here.

Hope I've made it clear enough, if there are any other questions that need answering, just ask 'em :3

Thanks
//S.

drgeoff

Re: Brand new RPi2 wont boot

Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:57 pm

You can't have looked very far! There are many places which say that a steady green LED on a RPi2 means it cannot load from the SD card.

Have a look at the "Not booting - no video" sticky post. (The RPi2 behaves the same as a A+/B+)

SyperMen

Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:48 pm

drgeoff wrote:You can't have looked very far! There are many places which say that a steady green LED on a RPi2 means it cannot load from the SD card.

Have a look at the "Not booting - no video" sticky post. (The RPi2 behaves the same as a A+/B+)
Tried all the points, didn't really help. Appreciate the answer though.
Is there anything more specific I can do?
Last edited by SyperMen on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drgeoff

Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:57 pm

What size of micro-SD card?

A fairly common error is ending up with a folder, containing all the NOOBS files and folders, on the card.

SyperMen

Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:04 pm

drgeoff wrote:What size of micro-SD card?

A fairly common error is ending up with a folder, containing all the NOOBS files and folders, on the card.
I've tried with a 32GB Samsung card and a 8GB Kingston one.

The files and folders from NOOB are all installed in the root/main folder of the SD-cards.

drgeoff

Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:16 pm

Apologies if this appears to insult your intelligence. You are pushing the card fully home and hearing a click as it locks in place?

drgeoff

Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:21 pm

Not having the HDMI (or AV jack) connected will not cause the green LED to stay lit.

drgeoff

Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:26 pm

bertwert wrote:
drgeoff wrote:Apologies if this appears to insult your intelligence. You are pushing the card fully home and hearing a click as it locks in place?
It clicks?
I didn't think it actually clicked into place...
On A+/B+/2 the socket has a part which clicks.

SyperMen

Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:40 pm

drgeoff wrote:Apologies if this appears to insult your intelligence. You are pushing the card fully home and hearing a click as it locks in place?
Yeah, it clicks. Don't worry about that, it might seem silly but sometimes the small things are those who get ya.

SyperMen

Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:40 pm

bertwert wrote:Was the ACT light solid, flashing regularly or flashing irregularly?
The light was on solid.

SyperMen

Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:43 pm

bertwert wrote:Is the monitor/tv turned on before plugging power into the Pi?
Are all the connectors in properly?
Is the power supply adequate?
Removed everything (even keyboard) but power supply, SD card and HDMI out?
IS the SD card in properly?

If you answered NO to any of these questions, make it a YES ;-)

Yeah, checked 110%.
Tried several different ones, so yeah.
Yes, sir.
Yeah.

Kinda ot but can you multiquote on this forum? Dunno how this specific BB forum work and it looks kind of unorganized and messy when there are several replies.

drgeoff

Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:57 pm

bertwert wrote: Try what happens when you do the same as you were doing but without the SD card, and see if the light stays on
Waste of time. It will stay on. That tests nothing new.

drgeoff

Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:02 pm

Another possible insult. :)

You must have the card in before applying power. Never insert or remove a card while power is plugged in.

SyperMen

Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:10 pm

drgeoff wrote:Another possible insult. :)

You must have the card in before applying power. Never insert or remove a card while power is plugged in.
The card is in when I boot the Pi

Downloaded NOOB from raspberrypi.org/downloads so it's the best version available.

drgeoff

Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Check that you extracted ALL the files from the NOOBS zip. And that you preserved the folder structure.

SyperMen

Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:40 pm

drgeoff wrote:Check that you extracted ALL the files from the NOOBS zip. And that you preserved the folder structure.
Done-didely-done

goldslag

Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:37 am

I am having these exact same issues. I have done everything that SyperMen has tried and having the same results. Both act and pwr led's are lit with or without the micro sd card. I have tried multiple cards with same result. The only thing I havent tried was a new board, because I live in the USA, and there isn't a store around here that carries them. Please HELp!!!!

SyperMen

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:48 pm

goldslag wrote:I am having these exact same issues. I have done everything that SyperMen has tried and having the same results. Both act and pwr led's are lit with or without the micro sd card. I have tried multiple cards with same result. The only thing I havent tried was a new board, because I live in the USA, and there isn't a store around here that carries them. Please HELp!!!!
I turned in my rpi and got the same error on the new one so I doubt that it's your Pi.
Just follow this thread and we'll see if we can find a solution together.

mmfc

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:54 pm

I had this problem - I must assume mine was SD card based as a brand brand new SD card worked ok with NOOBS.

garyw536

Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:47 pm

Hi all,
I had exactly the same problem when I got my Pi 2 last week. I tried 5 different SD cards with 2015 build of Raspbian, just black screen and solid LED. All cards were tested in my Netbook beforehand and loaded with Raspbian image using DD. 2A PSU and cables work OK on Pi B+.

Finally managed to get it working with an 8GB Sandisk Ultra I got from the supermarket.

The cards which did not work were;
Unbranded 32GB Class 10 SDHC
Unbranded 16GB Class 10 HCI 2
7DayShop Branded 16GB Class 10 SDHC
PNY 32GB Class 10 HCI 3
PNY 16GB Class 10 HCI 1

I think the Pi2 is fussy what microSD card it uses??
Raspbian on the PI 2 seems to run quicker than my Intel Atom Netbook running Lubuntu 14.04.

BMS Doug

Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:40 pm

garyw536 wrote:Hi all,
I had exactly the same problem when I got my Pi 2 last week. I tried 5 different SD cards with 2015 build of Raspbian, just black screen and solid LED. All cards were tested in my Netbook beforehand and loaded with Raspbian image using DD. 2A PSU and cables work OK on Pi B+.

Finally managed to get it working with an 8GB Sandisk Ultra I got from the supermarket.

The cards which did not work were;
Unbranded 32GB Class 10 SDHC
Unbranded 16GB Class 10 HCI 2
7DayShop Branded 16GB Class 10 SDHC
PNY 32GB Class 10 HCI 3
PNY 16GB Class 10 HCI 1

I think the Pi2 is fussy what microSD card it uses??
Raspbian on the PI 2 seems to run quicker than my Intel Atom Netbook running Lubuntu 14.04.
do your cards work in your B+?
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

SyperMen

Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:29 pm

I got mine to work, atleast the Kingston 8GB card. Haven't tried the Samsung 32GB yet.

What I did was re-download NOOBs and then add a config.txt file with these two lines

Code: Select all

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_drive=2

drgeoff

Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:39 pm

SyperMen wrote:I got mine to work, atleast the Kingston 8GB card. Haven't tried the Samsung 32GB yet.

What I did was re-download NOOBs and then add a config.txt file with these two lines

Code: Select all

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_drive=2
Those two lines affect only the HDMI video out. Even without them a RPi should still boot, ie the green ACT LED should flash.

The default hdmi_drive value is 4. Sometimes it needs to be increased with long cables or "troublesome" displays. I've never heard of a case where a non-working display was made to work by reducing the value.

DougieLawson

Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:40 pm

drgeoff wrote:Another possible insult. :)

You get an interesting kernel crash if you remove the card while it's running, no lasting damage. But I keep doing it when pulling USB devices from the opposite end.

I've had to use single user mode
# fsck /dev/mmcblk0p1
# mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 / -o remount,ro
# fsck /dev/mmcblk0p2
to recover the filesystem a couple of times after doing that.

Electrically there's no problem with pulling running cards or inserting with power on. But you do have to hit the RUN header or power off/on to reboot after messing up that way.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a hippy & doctor free zone.

goldslag

Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:17 pm

I tried adding config.txt and it still did not work. I am going to try and get the exact card that gary356, used and report back.

Return to “Troubleshooting”