MikeWoodward

New Raspberry Pi 2 Install

Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:55 pm

I decided to buy a new Pi 2 to use alongside my Pi B so I no longer need to switch SDcards when switching between Raspbian & XBMC. I am beginning to regret this as no matter what I try I can’t get a stable installation. I have tried a 8GB & 16GB SDcard of different brands which should rule out a dodgy SDcard.

XBMC won’t install assume this is because there have not been any recent updates.

Raspbian fails saying there is a problem configuring file system when I put the memory card in the Pi 2 but it did work when I put the card in the Pi B. This should mean that I have formatted & installed software correctly. Both installs complained that it did not have enough root file system space on the 8GB & 16GB card.

I repeated the above & it worked in the Pi B with both cards, transferred card to the Pi 2 where it ran for about 10-15 minutes before locking up.

NOOBS won’t install with error saying it could not configure file system, had the same problem with both Pis. Sure that I did everything correctly as I used the same process as above & I could get the old Pi to work with an old copy of NOOBS.
The documentation for the new card says I should install NOOBS 1.4 but the web site has 1.3.12 as the latest version, anyone seen version 1.4?

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong or is it time to send the Pi back & get a refund.

Has anyone actually managed to get Raspbian or XBMC working on the Pi 2 if so how.

pluggy

Re: New Raspberry Pi 2 Install

Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:09 pm

I have Raspbian running on a Pi2. Two ways of doing it have both worked. You can make sure an existing Raspbian is up to date with

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
This will then boot up in a Pi2, or download the latest version from the download links. Both a raw Raspbian and Raspbian via Noobs have worked. The latest version of Noobs is 1.3.12 I don't know where you've seen 1.4, but its wrong.

If you're getting the same error on both Pis then that is clearly the SD card or the contents thereof.

Numerous thing you could try, Format the SD card in a camera or phone and start again, put the card in a running linux machine (a Pi with a USB card reader, or download a linux distro and run it 'live' on your PC would work) and see if it makes sense.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

DirkS

Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:28 pm

pluggy wrote:The latest version of Noobs is 1.3.12 I don't know where you've seen 1.4, but its wrong.
It's on the RS website. There's a post somewhere on the forum about that.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor ... s/8326274/

MikeWoodward

Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:51 pm

Thanks for the response.

Decided to download the distribution again just in case original corrupted.

Also have the 5.25v power supply on order, I have been using a 1amp unit which has worked fine on my old Pi for 12-18 months.

I will try the above before trying to format SDcard using KNOPPIX on my laptop, I have only used this is the past to recover files off Windows PCs that have expired.

asandford

Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:11 pm

pluggy wrote:If you're getting the same error on both Pis then that is clearly the SD card or the contents thereof.

Numerous thing you could try, Format the SD card in a camera or phone and start again, put the card in a running linux machine (a Pi with a USB card reader, or download a linux distro and run it 'live' on your PC would work) and see if it makes sense.
I got Noobs 1.3.12 working happily, but I formatted my card with the Trendy SD formatter first, it's an SD card formatter (and can resize them as well) rather than a formatter that appears to work with SD cards.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:41 pm

DirkS wrote:
pluggy wrote:The latest version of Noobs is 1.3.12 I don't know where you've seen 1.4, but its wrong.
It's on the RS website. There's a post somewhere on the forum about that.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/processor ... s/8326274/
They probably thought the upgrade to a ARMv6 and ARMv7 compatible kernel version would warrant a whole "dot" upgrade to "1.4.1", but as it turns out the kernel developers decided otherwise. So the RS website has it wrong.

bighead85

Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:51 am

I too have been having problems trying to get a Pi2 stable.
Tried replacing my NAS PI but soon as any demand is put on the pi it locks up. (Raspbian) Also tried installing Retro Pie (locks up mid install), the most stable build has been OSMC which although in Alpha seems not to lock up. (But when it does go wrong it reboots)
Tried 16GB and 4GB cards from multiple manufacturers, although the 4GB seemed more stable (could just be my imagination)
Basic use on raspbian desktop is fine, but anything using high cpu crashes. All of what i see on screen suggests kernel problems (warnings at boot) Hopefully this will get fixed soon.

JarJarGeek

Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:28 am

Agree -this sounds like a faulty SD CARD , I can voucher for the SD Formatter, comes in both Mac and PC flavours and is a life saver when it comes to SD cards
@jarjargeek

syntax-err0r.com

Xiol

Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:50 pm

OP, is your problem similar to one being discussed here?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 28&t=98935

I suspect this may be a larger problem than first thought as I'm having issues on a brand-new MicroSD card with the official RPi power supply (2A at 5V).

bighead85

Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:12 am

Hi All,
My problem appears to be fixed now I am using a 2amp power supply.

MikeWoodward

Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:07 pm

I have only ever used the Trendy SDcard formatter as recommended by Raspberry, so I should be OK on this front.

I have tried 2 different SDcards 8 & 16GB, it would be a stretch to have w dodgy cards.

Still waiting for the new 5.25 volt to arrive, have 2 on order, 1 for my old Pi.

Mike

pluggy

Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:50 pm

I can't really see it being power since the Pi2 uses less power than the original model B. The linear regulators on on the old B wasted a lot of power, and the fancy new multi-core processor doesn't use a lot more than the old single core.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

MikeWoodward

Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:55 pm

Managed to get Raspbian working well once I connected up the 5.25 volt power supply.

I have even managed to get some software working that I wrote in Mumps many years ago.

I will now try to get XBMC installed using NOOBS before I try to get CUPS printing working on Rasbian.

Thanks for your help.

MikeWoodward

Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:41 pm

Failed to get XBMC working using NOOBS, got the following error message:-

Warning: incompatible operating systems(s) detected. the following OSes aren't supported on this revision of Raspberry Pi and may fail to boot or function correctly:
RaspBMC

Ignored message & Pi failed to boot up.

Anyone know when RASPbmc will be updated to work with Pi 2.

drgeoff

Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:57 pm

MikeWoodward wrote:Failed to get XBMC working using NOOBS, got the following error message:-

Warning: incompatible operating systems(s) detected. the following OSes aren't supported on this revision of Raspberry Pi and may fail to boot or function correctly:
RaspBMC

Ignored message & Pi failed to boot up.

Anyone know when RASPbmc will be updated to work with Pi 2.
Never, apparently. The author has moved on to OSMC. I understand that the OpenELEC web site has a standalone version which runs on RPi2
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Return to “Troubleshooting”